Tyre choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
..and a further conclusion. I've now worked out why the new tyres seem quieter - it's because the suspension on them damps the slight rattle from the mudguards that I used to have with the Marathon Racer tyres. Overall I'm very happy with the Big Apples at the front and haven't noticed any particular difference in handling except that perhaps I take faster corners fractionally wider.

byegad

Legendary Member
Helen, do you have BAs on all three wheels?

If you do try softening the rear suspension one position. You can get away with this as the BAs take some of the sting out of a big bump.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Hi Byegad

Yes I do have Big Apples all round.

I have the red and the green suspension elastomer and am currently using the red. I often carry a fair bit of load in the panniers, plus I'm a heavier lass, so I don't know if I should be using the green instead, but the red seems fine.

byegad

Legendary Member
Auntie Helen said:
Hi Byegad

Yes I do have Big Apples all round.

I have the red and the green suspension elastomer and am currently using the red. I often carry a fair bit of load in the panniers, plus I'm a heavier lass, so I don't know if I should be using the green instead, but the red seems fine.
I'm 15st 5lbs and use a full red elastomer on the second softest setting and have a cut down (2/3rds height) yellow on the hardest setting. The yellow is hardly ever in contact with the arm but is there if I am about to overwhelm the red. The whole thing works as a dual rate shock absorber.
I find that the softer ride at the back seems to help with traction on rough surfaces.

Top Bottom