Tyre sidewall split/crack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
<snip>
What pressure do you keep them at?
Tyre calculator suggests around 68 front and 74 rear for me + bike + stuff.
Given that the tyres are rated to around 110psi max, I went for around 100 when I got the bike home initially (Halfords has set then at around 90 when I checked after the ride home on collection) although I haven't re-checked them since. I don't do tyre calculators, just what feels right - the thumb test.

Cool - IMO the best outcome would be for them to issue another pair of tyres and let you keep these; which you can then run until they actually start to fall apart. In practice since it's potentially a liability issue, if they choose to do anything they'll probably want to replace them themselves and retain the originals..

That mindset whiffs of something greedy or immoral or dishonesty or opportunistic or something even worse. i'll wrap it all up in a package called consumere entitlement for now, until I can find a better word for it.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
That mindset whiffs of something greedy or immoral or dishonesty or opportunistic or something even worse. i'll wrap it all up in a package called consumere entitlement for now, until I can find a better word for it.
Your uncanny insight into this ostensibly trivial matter has exposed me for the utterly irredeemable, total b*stard that I am.

I await your even-more-terrifyingly-precise moral judgement with both awe and terror in equal measure :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just photoing the tyres on my folder to buy the right size tubes and noticed these "cracks" going most of the way round the tyre, both sides. Bike is a Carrera Intercity Disc 9 from Halfords.

Bike (and hence tyre) is 6 months old, less than 50 miles on it. It's not been ridden off road or hard, it's been stored in my garage the whole time. The tyres have never been off the rims and have always been inflated. I just pumped them up the other day (to about 90) as the pressure had dropped a bit. They're rated to 110 psi but to my knowledge have never been pumped above 100.

Is this something to be concerned about?

looks like something you'd see on 40 yr old tires. I'd bring them where you bought the bike & ask for a discount on new tires, if not entirely free replacements. they should be able to go back to where THEY got the bike & get compensated somehow

wafter

love it!

but seriously, on another forum we were trying to keep track of which side ppl fell off their bike, right or left. we determined that ppl mostly fall to their left

I think everyone has a "dominant" side on the bike; a favoured side to lean - for example when putting one's foot down when coming to a stop, cornering hard or pulling a skid to impress girls.

I'm left-handed and prefer right-handers, likewise were I going down I'd feel like I had more control were it my right side hitting the deck. I guess the prevalence of right-handers and your research that most people prefer to fall to their left supports this..

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
love it!

but seriously, on another forum we were trying to keep track of which side ppl fell off their bike, right or left. we determined that ppl mostly fall to their left

In the UK I tend to fall to the left because the morons trying to kill me tend to be driving to my right. It's a natural reaction to flinch away from them.

wafter

I'm sure you'll be nobly sacrificing your life for the public good but my wish to stay alive is too strong so I opt for self-preservation rather than sainthood. :okay:

Yeah, I'm ambivalent at best about self-preservation..

Top Bottom