Tyre size advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MagicThighs

I want to get some semi-slick tyres for my bike as I will be exclusively riding on road during the next few months and the original fit tyres (Duro Raiders) are harder work on the road. Existing tyres are 26x1.95 (559-54).

I am a little confused about the second part of the size and what flexibility I have with this. There don't seem to be too many tyres that are 1.95, but plenty in sizes that are near this, e.g. 1.75

From what I have read I think I can fit different sizes within reason, but just wanted to double check before splashing out.

Spotted Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26 x 1.75 on Amazon at £22.49 each and wondered if these would be OK?

Thanks.

lejogger

Guru
Slicker tyres are generally going to be a bit narrower, but you'll have no problem fitting those Schwalbe to your rims. Marathon plus are supposedly bomb proof, if a little heavy.

I have Continental Sport Contact on my 26" MTB wheels for when I used it on the road. They will be a bit faster than the Schwalbe and I only ever had 1 snake bite puncture in 4000 miles using them.

Sleeper

Using schwalbe 26x1.5" speed cruisers on the commuter hack and they're great! Bargain at £10 each from planet-x too :smile: :smile:

Top Bottom