Tyre width

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have had a couple of rides on my Claud Butler Majestic, running 1 1/4 tyres. I am amazed how much smoother it seems when set against my road bike, which has 23mm tyres. Do you think this is solely due to tyre width and, in the case of the Majestic, lower pressures, or are other factors in play?

Grand Primo

Hi Hertz (great name) I don't know about yours but Terry at Stallion Cycles put new 27x11/4 wheels from SJS on my Carlton Ten, with Schwalbe B Active tyres. The one time I took a tyre off the rim, I was amazed at the huge inner tube, big enough for my kids to take swimming. Must soak up a lot of bumps!

Old steel frame?

Just bought a £30 clunker 1980's 6-speed Peugeot - purely as a winter hack. A rust-bucket to throw away in spring.

And I'm in love. I'd forgotten how superbly those old machines rode. Spidery front forks with a thinner taper and longer curve; tapered seat stays. Soaks up bumps and poor surfaces effortlessly.

Aye - but it's not just an oldie's nostalgia. Both my sons have tried it - and come back with ENORMOUS grins from the sheer pleasure of the ride.

ChrisEyles

Guru
@growingvegetables - haha, I know that feeling exactly, still remember it from my first ever road bike (a lovely five speed puch alpine) :smile:

I sold an old 1970s ten speed a little while ago, and it was great to see the chap who bought it come back from a little test ride with just that smile on his face. It was his first encounter with a road bike too, brought it all back to me.

@HertzvanRental - well a 1,1/4" tyre has about twice the volume of a 23mm one, so will give a cushier ride at a lower pressure than you could run the thinner tyre at.... but I'd hesitate to put it all down to tyre sizing, there is something magic about those old bikes!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Old steel frame?

Just bought a £30 clunker 1980's 6-speed Peugeot - purely as a winter hack. A rust-bucket to throw away in spring.

And I'm in love. I'd forgotten how superbly those old machines rode. Spidery front forks with a thinner taper and longer curve; tapered seat stays. Soaks up bumps and poor surfaces effortlessly.

Aye - but it's not just an oldie's nostalgia. Both my sons have tried it - and come back with ENORMOUS grins from the sheer pleasure of the ride.
Why do you think some of us are hooked on old (and not so old) steelies, and a good 531 (or531c) frame ain't that much heavier.

It was earlier on this year that I rediscovered how good the old steel bikes were to ride. It was when I was giving my friends old 60's BSA a test ride after restoring it. Like a lot of people I had forgotten how good they felt, light and agile and not as much vibration as I was feeling from a Carerra Vulcan with front suspension.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The falcon Majorca steel road bike on 27x1 1/4 is a cushier ride than my aluminium hybrid on 37-622, which just seems wrong and suggests material matters more than tyre width. My steel roadster on 40-622 gets ridden most (as did the one on 37-590 before it).

Old steel frame?

There I was thinking "WTF is this guy on? And then finally I scrolled down and read the rest of your post. Ha ha very droll :smile:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Old steel frame?

Just bought a £30 clunker 1980's 6-speed Peugeot - purely as a winter hack.

I've got the Peugeot below as my bike for between campuses due to security issues at the other one. And I really like it. It's got 700 x 32 wheels with new Delta Cruiser tyres on which roll smoothly, if not quickly:

$_57.JPG

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Top Bottom