Tyre widths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gyrojay

I have a plan to get better wheels for my Wilier GTR and run wider tyres on them. A quick email to Wilier and they write that 28mm is the max but warn that size varies from brand to brand and reading a few posts on forums seems to bear this out with mentions that Michelin tyres and one of the Vittorias are 'big'. So my question is what might be a good brand/model to use. Am especially interested in hearing from peeps running wider tyres on their GTR. The bike only sees the light of day when it has not been raining.

Depends on the width of your rims too. Narrower rims would make them taller.

presta

Guru
Schwalbe's tolerance on tyre width is +/- 3mm.

Comparison of two Marathons, HS368 & HS420:
1675127092000.png

1675127106578.png

1675127344402.png

Last edited:
If find that 28mm has the most variability in actual width and also is a width that butts up against fork and brake clearance, so width is more critical.
You have to go shopping with a tape measure and get bead to bead exterior diameter.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have a plan to get better wheels for my Wilier GTR and run wider tyres on them. A quick email to Wilier and they write that 28mm is the max but warn that size varies from brand to brand and reading a few posts on forums seems to bear this out with mentions that Michelin tyres and one of the Vittorias are 'big'. So my question is what might be a good brand/model to use. Am especially interested in hearing from peeps running wider tyres on their GTR. The bike only sees the light of day when it has not been raining.

hard to go wrong with conti GP5000s for good fast rolling grippy tyres on your "best" bike.

my 28mms fit true to size on my wheels.

YMMV

Ajax Bay

Guru
Wilier is not saying that 28mm is the max for fun. I set up a Wilier (earlier model i suspect) for son and stuck to 25s of the Michelin Pro 4 variety, which I know come up 1.5mm wider (at 90psi).
The old 28 4000s came up wide (eg 29mm at 90psi). But the 5000s come up on spec (on 17mm internal rim width).
If you are going to be running this width tyre, the new wheels should be 622-17 rims (could go to 19) and running 5000s at 622-28 will be about right.
Go here: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews for real measurements of tyre widths.
HTH

OP
OP
G

gyrojay

Thanks for replies. The wheels I was thinking of getting were Hunt Race Aero Wide.
I was leaning more to 25mm just to be sure but still undecided.

Ajax Bay

Guru
19mm internal.
https://www.huntbikewheels.com/products/hunt-race-season-aero-wide-road-wheelset-1480g-31deep-24wide
With that width inner rim 25s will come up wider than spec and 28s will likely be too wide for your fork. So if that what meant by "leaning to 25mm" then agree: to mitigate risk of buying 28s and them being too wide for your forks.
Again, use the BRR link as an advisory (he uses 25s, on 17mm rims at 100psi as the 'standard' condition).
And from and 'aero' PoV, that also comes much closer to the 105% RoT.

Velochris

Über Member
19mm inner rims. My Hutchinson Challenger 28mm tyres measure about 27.8mm at 80psi.

Top Bottom