Tyres and Rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

P1p4d85

Hi there

I have a Brother Cycles Kepler gravel bike with Alexrims Draw 1.9prims -https://alexrims.com/products/draw-1-9p/

I currently have 37c gravel tyres on the bike but would like something more road efficient for winter as plan to mainly ride roads. I purchased and tried to fit the 28c Panaracer Gravel Kings but there was no way in hell I was getting them on. Have I gone too low on the tyre sizing and would I be better off trying a 32c? Any other tyres I should be looking at?

any advice or tips greatly received

thanks

p

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I talc the inside of the tyre and the tube - helps them go on. Or use soapy water.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
my technique with tight tyres such as schwalbe marathon plus is to warm them up , airing cupboard overnight or hair dryer . Also I’m with fossyant , talc inside tyre and on tube.

si_c

Guru
The tyre size relates to the width of the tyre not the size of wheel it will fit on - the latter is defined by the rim. The bike you have will take either 700c wheels (622mm diameter) or 650b wheels (584mm diameter).

You need to make sure you have the right tire for the wheel - a 700c tire will be too large to fit a 650b rim and conversely a 650b tire will be too small to fit a 700c wheel. You can check the side of the existing tire to check what you have as it will usually say on the side wall along with the max and minimum pressures to run the tire.

Assuming that you have matched the tire to the rim correctly, the best way I have found to get a tire on is to get one side in completely and then starting opposite the valve stem evenly put the second side in down both sides of the wheel - when it starts to get a bit harder go back up to where you started and then push down hard with both hands around the outside of the tire towards the bottom. This forces the tire into the lowest part of the rim giving more space. Repeat this until the tire is on.

A video guide demonstrating this can be found here although you don't need to use anything to hold the tire in place like they do in the video, you can easily do it without.

si_c

Guru
Just to add - that technique works well at the side of the road too when you inevitably get a puncture.

That being said some tires when new are very stiff but become more supple with age so are easier to get on and off after the first couple of tries.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some tyres are a nightmare. I have Schwalbe Snow Studs (ice tyre) that will only go on with talc and Pedros tyre levers - hard job. The Schwalbe Ice Spikers (lots of icy spikes but folding bead) go on with thumb pressure.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm another to suggest talc. In the garage this is easy less so on the road. When I buy new tubes I unbox them, spread out on a sheet of newspaper and dust heavily with talc, roll up and secure with elastic band, wrap in newspaper, then cling film. You will find it relatively simple to roll on a tyre with the thumbs when dealing with a roadside puncture. If I haven't used the tube in 6-12 months I unpack and apply more talc.

You'll smell pretty good in the cafe as well!! 😄

I agree with @si_c on technique but I prefer to start at the valve. Push the valve as deep in to the tyre as it will go before starting this area. Hold the wheel in front of you with the valve at the top and lower edge against the pit of your stomach, slowly roll the tyre on starting either side of the valve using both thumbs and working round the wheel down both sides simultaneously. Move the wheel round at the same time till the valve is in the stomach pit.

Check for pinched tube on both sides by pushing the tyre away from the rim as you move it round. Inflate!

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
https://alexrims.com/products/draw-1-9p/
I currently have 37c gravel tyres on the bike but would like something more road efficient for winter as plan to mainly ride roads. I purchased and tried to fit the 28c Panaracer Gravel Kings but there was no way in hell I was getting them on. Have I gone too low on the tyre sizing and would I be better off trying a 32c?
Draw 1.9P: 700c, 622X19
28c Panaracer Gravel Kings: 622-28
This tyre fits the rim and 28mm is not too narrow (though 32mm would be fine too). Some tyre/rim combos are very tight. OP needs to 'find the "way (that extra thumb mile) to hell" with talc and other techniques (^^^) and careful use of a lever.

Kajjal

Guru
The tyre size relates to the width of the tyre not the size of wheel it will fit on - the latter is defined by the rim. The bike you have will take either 700c wheels (622mm diameter) or 650b wheels (584mm diameter).

You need to make sure you have the right tire for the wheel - a 700c tire will be too large to fit a 650b rim and conversely a 650b tire will be too small to fit a 700c wheel. You can check the side of the existing tire to check what you have as it will usually say on the side wall along with the max and minimum pressures to run the tire.

Assuming that you have matched the tire to the rim correctly, the best way I have found to get a tire on is to get one side in completely and then starting opposite the valve stem evenly put the second side in down both sides of the wheel - when it starts to get a bit harder go back up to where you started and then push down hard with both hands around the outside of the tire towards the bottom. This forces the tire into the lowest part of the rim giving more space. Repeat this until the tire is on.

A video guide demonstrating this can be found here although you don't need to use anything to hold the tire in place like they do in the video, you can easily do it without.
This is exactly what I do , all tyres go on by hand with ease using this method in my experience.

Conti Gatorskin 32c on gravel bike here, very tight fit on DTSwiss rims but got them on eventually. Will switch to 38s this winter, not sure what yet, tried Spesh Sawtooths but not great for grip.

OP
OP
P

P1p4d85

Thanks all for your comments and time. I guess I will get armed with some talc, some washing up liquid and get ready for battle :smile:

Top Bottom