tyres for winter commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
Apparently we are in for a winter just as bad as last year.

Since they predicted a mild winter earlier this year I would not believe a word they say.

BSRU

A Human Being
They also predicted a hot summer....... :laugh:

I think in the past few years they had been predicting a harsh winter only for it to be a mild one, then last year they predicted a mild 2010 winter only for it to be the harshest winter for years. It gives the impression they are sitting at the Met. office with a coin and basing there long term forecast on whether it is heads or tails, leaving that super computer they have for more important things such as internet shopping or watching film trailers from Apple HD.

zigzag

Veteran
marathon plus 700x25 are good all year round tyres, over 3k miles at the moment and rear tyre would be good for at least another 3k, and front for another 5k. ride quality is acceptable and in theory they shouldn't puncture*. i don't carry a puncture repair kit for short distances, as these tyres are tough enough to ride without air for few miles. when i wear them out i'll buy the same ones again as i don't see any alternatives.

*my friend (who is ~120kg) rode over a sharp 1.5" screw which punctured marathon plus tyre and dented the rim.

Jezston

Über Member
I'm still debating whether or not to spend £65-70 on a pair of the Marathon Winter tyres,with last winter being my 1st one it was a shock how bad it was and I ended up missing nearly 5 weeks of commuting.
Question is what are the chances of it being that bad again? What is the average winter like for cycle commuting?

£65-70?!? Ouch!

I feel I need to get some studded tyres as I was out of the game for over two weeks last winter because of the road conditions and having a couple of nasty headbangs on ice ... but that is an awful lot of money to spend for two weeks riding!

I've read about 'Nokian' bike tyres before which are supposed to be just as good an much cheaper, but their website only mentions car tyres, and I can only find US-based sites selling the 26" mountain bike tyres they do, with just other sites talking about the 700c versions - no one selling.

Are there any alternatives to the Schwalbes?

BSRU

A Human Being
I'm still debating whether or not to spend £65-70 on a pair of the Marathon Winter tyres,with last winter being my 1st one it was a shock how bad it was and I ended up missing nearly 5 weeks of commuting.
Question is what are the chances of it being that bad again? What is the average winter like for cycle commuting?

Spa Cycles are selling Marathon Winters for £28 each with free delivery.

Top Bottom