Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roscoe

Veteran
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to upgrade the tyres on my Carrera TDF road bike, the back tyre is starting to look a little worn with quite a few cuts in it from road debris.

Looking mainly for tyre longevity and puncture resistance (Utopia?). Continental tyres seem popular and I seem drawn to either the Gatorskins or GP 4 Seasons.

Can anyone help me narrow down my choice?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
It's all trade offs - heavily puncture protected tyres will be, well, heavy. Hard wearing compounds tend to be less grippy.

For me, the best balance is found in the Krylion Carbon (which I believe is now the "Pro Race Endurance").

I've ridden Gatorskins, and disliked them (too slippy, got as many p*nct*res as I did with anything else) but I believe the current tyres are better. GP4000s are ok, but aren't as nice as the Michelins I've ridden at the same price point (Pro Race 2, Pro Race 3, Krylion Carbon).

hoski

Veteran
I've been riding Gatorskins. The puncture resistance is pretty excellent from my experience but they aren't quite as grippy as I would like. Next on my list to try is GP4000S.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Gatorskins are not my favourite tyre - squirmy in the wet, and the puncture resistance is not much to write home about.
GP4000S are fantastic tyres, but they are designed as fast, grippy road/race tyres, puncture protection is not what they were designed for.
G4 4 seasons are excellent all-round tyres as are the Krylion/Pro 4 Endurance

Also consider Schwalbe Durano+ and Bontrager Hardcase - both of which roll very well for "protected" tyres.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Bonty Harcases in 25c for cheap and tough ... ideal for commuting.
If I had to choose 1 tyre for all-round use it would be the GP4000s. Grippy enough, comfortable enough and better protected than most 'light/race' tyres. Michelin Pro-race are nicer, but notably less durable (I only use them for the summer).
My Audax/distance/winter bike build will have 28c Duranos.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Pro 4 Endurance here. They don't cut up like the service course or race versions. 1500 miles in on the current set and not a nick on them. Reasonably lightweight as well.

Top Bottom