tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archer

Hi

Going to start by saying sorry - this topic has no doubt already been done to death. The more I read the more confused I get.

I need a new set of tyres on my bike, something good in the wet & puncture resistant.

Bike (hybrid) used for the commute to work & about town. Currently the bike has 700*37 tyres on it. Label on rims says etrto 622*19-DIN Alloy C.

How low can I go 700 * ?

What difference will it make ?

Am I right in thinking I may need to change inner tube if I change tyres, depending on size. (going to change anyway - they have been repaired numerous times).

Any brand recommendations ?

Thanks - have a good bank hol.

Hi

Going to start by saying sorry - this topic has no doubt already been done to death. The more I read the more confused I get.

I need a new set of tyres on my bike, something good in the wet & puncture resistant.

Bike (hybrid) used for the commute to work & about town. Currently the bike has 700*37 tyres on it. Label on rims says etrto 622*19-DIN Alloy C.

How low can I go 700 * ?

What difference will it make ?

Am I right in thinking I may need to change inner tube if I change tyres, depending on size. (going to change anyway - they have been repaired numerous times).

Any brand recommendations ?

Thanks - have a good bank hol.
You got that right LOL

Sheldon does quite a good piece on it his table at the bottom of his page sums it up simply but basically you've got 19mm width rims that let you pu on tyres between 28mm and 44mm wide. The narrower the tyre the lighter it will be and the easier it will roll (basically it'll be faster) but that will be at the expense of comfort, your choice.

Yes if you put radically different width tyres on you will need new tubes suitable for that width (ie if you put 28mm tyres on you'll need something like 700C x 25-32) and don't forget to get the same type of valve; my guess at the present you'll have schrader.

I'd recommend continental tyres because I've had good experience with them (with regards to grip and p'ture resistance) but again its a personal thing; a lot of people seem to like the conti gator skins.

And have a good Holiday yourself :smile:

Just changed my rear tyre from a 700x35 to a 32 and have noticed a difference. Seems to roll marginally better (though that could just be me riding more recently) but it IS a harder ride on my alloy frame

Maz

Guru
I have Schwalbe Durano Plus on my hybrid. Can honestly say I've never had a puncture on them.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
You got that right LOL

Sheldon does quite a good piece on it his table at the bottom of his page sums it up simply but basically you've got 19mm width rims that let you pu on tyres between 28mm and 44mm wide. The narrower the tyre the lighter it will be and the easier it will roll (basically it'll be faster) but that will be at the expense of comfort, your choice.

Yes if you put radically different width tyres on you will need new tubes suitable for that width (ie if you put 28mm tyres on you'll need something like 700C x 25-32) and don't forget to get the same type of valve; my guess at the present you'll have schrader.

I'd recommend continental tyres because I've had good experience with them (with regards to grip and p'ture resistance) but again its a personal thing; a lot of people seem to like the conti gator skins.

And have a good Holiday yourself :smile:

Wot he says ^^^^ :thumbsup:

Top Bottom