Ubuntu

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 1295329"]
So I bought an EEPC from Crackle for my boys for Christmas.

Is it worth starting a clean install with Ubuntu? It's got Linux at the mo, and Netbooks are new to me. How easy is it to do? Is Ubuntu good?
[/quote]

What distribution of Linux does it have at the moment? Ubuntu is just one "version" (distribution) of Linux.

What's the model of the PC?

[QUOTE 1295332"]
It's an EEEPC 4G. How do I see what version of Linux it's running?

As to why, I just thought putting the latest version on would be the thing to do.
[/quote]

Sorry, this is probably where I bow out... I have no knowledge of that computer. From what I have read, it is possible but not straight forward unless you're a nerd.

You need to follow the instructions on the Ubuntu website, which involves creating a bootable USB memory stick and booting from that which I believe the machine is capable of. Follow the link in the previous post (or you can choose the Desktop Edition).

If you can find a terminal window, type:

cat /proc/version

and that'll tell you the version installed now.

Edit to say: on second thoughts, it does appear as straight forward as installing on any other PC after all. Follow the instructions on the Ubuntu website (using another computer to download and create the bootable USB stick).

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I haven't used the Netbook Edition of Ubuntu, but I am using the full version on my laptop and it works very well, I prefer it to Win 7...

PBancroft

Its probably either Aurora or Xandros. Never used either I'm afraid.

I'd be tempted to leave the installed OS on there and see how you get on. The beauty of Linux is that you can try different flavours and see what suits you best - you may find that you prefer Xandros over Ubuntu, for example.

Amheirchion

If it's Xandros, which as a 4G it probably is, I'd personally install something else on it, as I did not get on with Xandros at all, finding it poorly maintained and out of date.
As a 4G it's fairly old to my recollection you may have some issues with Ubuntu requiring too much in the way of system resources as the early EEE's were severely lacking in power and the netbook version is no lighter than the normal version, it just has pretty optimisations for a smaller screen. ^^
Have a look at some more lightweight distros, a couple that come to mind are Crunchbang (my personal favourite) or one of the llighter Linux Mint's, either XFCE or Fluxbox. Crunchbang might take more getting used to, but from what I've seen of Mint XFCE it looks as point and click and as ready to go as normal Ubuntu.
That said I've not used Mint at all, so have no personal experiences, just what I've seen around on t'web.

Leave it as it is and run the update checker every so often to keep it upto date.
It's a netbook not a power machine so I can't see any advantage in swapping to another version of Linux.
See here for some opinions.

yello

I am typing this on my EeePC 901 4G running Ubuntu 10.10, and not the Netbook edition.

It's a doddle to clean install Ubuntu on an Eee. Follow the instructions on the Ubuntu site for creating a start-up USB stick, boot-up the Eee on it and next next install. Ubuntu 10.10 works out of the box on the Eee - you had to do a few tweaks on earlier releases; wifi, sound, webcam...

Note that you will NOT have a great deal of disk space left (I have just shy of 1 gig) so it's not really enough for storing anything significant on but for web browsing etc, it's perfectly acceptable. Performance is fine too, though it will slow up sometimes with heavier graphics requirements or bloated java apps.

I have also removed many of the apps that load as part of the std Ubuntu install, just to free up a bit of space.

Amheirchion

A clean install is at is says, a clean install, it will completely overwrite any partitions you tell it to, if memory serves Xandros is on a single partition as default so it will be completely lost.
On my old EEEPC 701SD I had an 8GB SSD, I had mine set up with the operating system on the SSD and an 8GB SD card as my /home partition with all my data. So yes, an SD card should happily solve a storage problem either as a removable card like you would use a USB stick, or as a permanently mounted drive.

phaedrus

I would recommend easypeasy. It's a variant of Ubuntu. Everything works perfectly on my eeepc 4G, which wasn't my experienece with vanilla Ubuntu. Really straightforward to install, too.

yello

[QUOTE 1295339"]
Thanks yello. Why did you go for the full version and not the netbook edition? Will an SD card solve the storage problem? If I clean install it as you describe will there be anything left from the previous Linux on the machine?
[/quote]

Amheichon has pretty much answered the main questions but;

- re netbook edition, it was simple preference. I don't like the look and feel of the netbook editions. I prefer a clean desktop with a menu access that hides itself when not in use. I wanted to maximise screen space because it's limited on a netbook.

- yes, an SD card would solve storage problems.

- a clean install will wipe the disk completely before it installs deleting anything that was there. I have clean installed my Eee many many many times. I deliberately play and sometimes break it. It's my toy and there is nothing on it that I need to keep.

My Ubuntu EeePC is actually a 701 (I have a 901 but that runs XP - another story). I run cairo-dock (a menu system) and compiz (fancy graphics stuff!) on it and, as I say, performance is good.

Edit: I don't think the chromium browser likes CycleChat

[QUOTE 1295343"]
Right. I've got ubuntu on a stick, and a 16gb SD card.

Idiot's guide please -how do I configure the SD card as a partition?

Thanks
[/quote]

Do you need to? If you have managed to get "Ubuntu on a stick" then have a go at booting your computer with the stick in the USB plug. Not sure where the SD card comes into it.

[QUOTE 1295345"]
There's not a lot of room left on the machine when Ubuntu is installed, so I thought that using an SD card would give more space.
[/quote]

Ah, i see

Once Ubuntu installed, just put the SD card in and it'll work pretty much like Windows

Top Bottom