UK tour in July 2023 ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Shem

Shem

A second strong vote for cycle.travel.

One thing I learned from my LEJoG adventure (see link in sig…might give you ideas) was that Britain is chock-full of beautiful byways and off-road cycle paths, and there are a wealth of lovely villages to travel through. My route didn’t get to Manchester - I went via Leicester (home) in order to sleep in my own bed for 2 nights and wash stuff….similarly for Edinburgh. Scotland might be a bit full of midges in summer. I’d recommend Yorkshire/Cumbria, but equally the Cotswolds were great too.

You don’t say how long you will have, or what your daily mileage might be.
I’m not the fastest by a long shot, but I averaged 55 miles per day (including a couple of days of 84miles….). Camped a bit on my Leicester to Edinburgh leg.

Do you have any particular interests? Ideas could be shaped by that.

Oh yes, & Cornwall is a brutally hilly area too
We have a little more than two weeks starting in mid July in Manchester.
We would like to enjoy the outdoors as much as possible sea, lakes and nature in general
We are considering Cumbria but then we don't go to Cornwall
I would like to say hills should not be a problem but I know better
vrp7YjLRK7eLQ1MU-Ccv161QNaWVe-monDUOXxZ8h6ft6gcsKA.png

mikeIow

Guru
We have a little more than two weeks starting in mid July in Manchester.
We would like to enjoy the outdoors as much as possible sea, lakes and nature in general
We are considering Cumbria but then we don't go to Cornwall

View attachment 667573

So: taking camping kit ✅
Gives you more flexibility
What sort of daily mileage? 40/50/60/more?
14 days could be 500miles or perhaps 800.....
I'd suggest heading to Portobello in Edinburgh through Yorkshire - the Ribblehead Viaduct is spectacular, & afetr a climb up, the ride town through Dent to Sedburgh is beautiful!
https://cycle.travel/map/journey/378122 sort of thing. 240 miles - could be 4-6 days. Plenty of campsites about....
Spend 2-3 nights in Edinburgh and look around...
...then come back through the Scottish borders & Cumbria - https://cycle.travel/map/journey/378126
It's just a starting point idea......you can break those days on cycle.travel to suggest the nights stops.

Enjoy the planning!!

T4tomo

Legendary Member

I'd probably avoid cornwall them. Everyone says teh first 3 days of lands end to john ogroats are the hardest, i.e thru Devon and cornwall, as it is unrelenting hills up and down with very little flat in between. not ideal on a fully loaded touring bike. North of Manchester - Lancashire coast Bowland, Yorkshire dales, lake district coastal side, Scottish borders etc will give you some spectacular scenery and less extreme hills and some flat bits

Gwylan

Veteran
Well, England and Wales are not as well equiped for cyclists and cycling as some parts of Germany.
Prepare yourself for wild camping being necessary sometimes, often.
Really the only bit worth visiting is Wales. But I am biased.
It is not flat!

Do a circuit. Along the N Wales coast down the coast and along the South Wales coast. There are hills. But I survived it.
Then bang on into Bristol. But take a very big lock!
Bath if you do Roman stuff.

Take the train, probably easier than the plane.

Road to Frame

I think you'll be alright in the south or north of UK. You can't go wrong touring in the UK it is beautiful. Could you be tempted on something like JOGLE or for a more remote adventure, The Outer Hebrides? I've got guides on both of those if it's of interest.

https://www.roadtoframe.com/cycling-adventures/cycling-john-o-groats-to-lands-end/

https://www.roadtoframe.com/guide-to-cycling-the-outer-hebrides/ < if you opt for Scotland you'll have the advantage of legal wild camping if you're coming with a tent.

From Manchester, you can get to the peak district really easily and it's beautiful there!

Top Bottom