Ultegra Di2 shifting adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Putting together my daughter's old Pinaello Dogma race bike for her and I'm having problems.

When it was her race bike it was kitted out with Campag EPS and everything worked perfectly. Lovely. Her Team bike made the Dogma redundant and it eventually got stripped for parts and shoved under the bed to gather dust for a few years. For nostalgias sake she wanted to get it built back up and ridden, so she had it repainted, sourced a used Ultegra Di2 groupset from a mate. Should be easy .......

Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about Shimano parts, all my bikes have been Campag (sometimes SRAM)

All done, all works but cannot get final adjustment of rear mech right. Even with limit screws backed right off, I cannot get the chain to climb onto the largest cassette cog. It also tries to drop off the smallest cog, and I can adjust this out to prevent it, but it still won't climb into bottom gear. It's as if the whole rear mech is sitting a few millimetres too far outwards. Weird.

The amount of shifting travel is dictated by the electric moor, but there is a fair amount of 'backlash' in the mechanism. Is there any way of adjusting this out which would move the jockey cage inwards.

Last resort would be to machine a few millimetres off the mech hanger, but it's a bit of a pain as I no longer have access to a milling machine. :sad:

Any suggestions or advice?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Hmmmmm, sorted. Possibly.

Suspect the mech has been in 'crash protect' mode. Fiddled about with reset button/light and now seems to be working okay. Fingers crossed.

Not convinced front mech is set 100% but I'll keep tinkering.

PS Campag is so much better. :boxing:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
You can micro adjust the shifting by holding the button on the junction box until it flashes and goes into fine tune mode, each press on the corresponding button is (I think) about one sixth of the usual distance and allows you to fine tune. more for future ref as I see you resolved the issue which was probably slightly different this time.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Hmmmmm, sorted. Possibly.

Suspect the mech has been in 'crash protect' mode. Fiddled about with reset button/light and now seems to be working okay. Fingers crossed.

Not convinced front mech is set 100% but I'll keep tinkering.

PS Campag is so much better. :boxing:
Yes Campy is better but Di2 is pretty good. Your hanger needs to be perfect to ensure slick changes, so check that too.
Also, bear in mind that the RD you bought could be worn...... I've seen it, and the gear changes in that instance were unfixable.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've had to admit defeat and bin a second hand Di2 rear mech before - in my case it wouldn't go on the top two and was looking for a 12th and 13th sprocket at the bottom :laugh:

But sure, a working Campag mech is better than a broken Shimano one, I'll give you that :okay:

Top Bottom