Um...Hello?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shajennat

Hi Leigh
I too wanted to become a bike mechanic and thought my luck was in when I just happened to ask if there was any vacancies at my local Halfords and I was asked to fill in an application form. I went for an interview (which was conducted my some spotty nineteen year old who thought it was highly hillarious to be interviewing a forty two year old bloke. The interview went well (ish) and i was all but offered the job. Up untill i found out that the next person to be interviewed was a bloke who had until recently run his own bikeshop. Needless to say i wasnt succesful^_^
Hope it goes better for you!!!!!
Shaun

OP
OP
Leigh73

Leigh73

I too applied for a job at halfords but didn't even get a reply. Having since spoken to some of the guys that work at their 'bikehut' dept. I can see that even with my limited knowledge I was waaaay over qualified to work there. For starters I have more than one functioning braincell, another is that I'm polite. I know this isn't true of all halfords staff, my old local store in London was fine, great, helpful guys, but this particular branch... sheesh!!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Welcome leigh.

My advice, if its too hard to find work, then start on your own. If you have a garage at home, then you have all you need.

Advertise your services with leaflets in your road and local roads (local enough for people to drop their bike to you) leaflet cost like £20 for hundreds and maybe place an ad in the local.

But first...of course, borrow enough cash to get yourself trained properly, if you are committed then this is a worthwhile investment and one that you are asking a potential employer to make in you. If you are serious enough to invest their money then why not invest your own.

OP
OP
Leigh73

Leigh73

Nice one Jonny, it's something I'm starting to think is more and more credible right now and is something else to seriously look into. I appreciate the encouragement. Living in a commuter belt village with so many bike owners I know I could get the business!

barrymanifold

Very expensive my 5 year domestic gas training and exams cost nowhere near that rip off . Its a bike its not rocket science. Get a couple of bikes of the local tip strip them down and rebuild them. Hands on is more important than cirtificates that know one will ask to see anyway.

OP
OP
Leigh73

Leigh73

hear hear!

I too applied for a job at halfords but didn't even get a reply. Having since spoken to some of the guys that work at their 'bikehut' dept. I can see that even with my limited knowledge I was waaaay over qualified to work there. For starters I have more than one functioning braincell, another is that I'm polite. I know this isn't true of all halfords staff, my old local store in London was fine, great, helpful guys, but this particular branch... sheesh!!

Hi Leigh
I too wanted to become a bike mechanic and thought my luck was in when I just happened to ask if there was any vacancies at my local Halfords and I was asked to fill in an application form. I went for an interview (which was conducted my some spotty nineteen year old who thought it was highly hillarious to be interviewing a forty two year old bloke. The interview went well (ish) and i was all but offered the job. Up untill i found out that the next person to be interviewed was a bloke who had until recently run his own bikeshop. Needless to say i wasnt succesful^_^
Hope it goes better for you!!!!!
Shaun
Hilarious little story. Lol

Top Bottom