Unequal leg length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
.. the next question after you've compensated for the unequal leg length is to decide the optimum saddle height 'cos you can only have the BB and saddle one distance apart. I don't think there's any solution to this.
Doesn't Jason's method do this? In fact isn't it the only way to do it? I mean, short of inserting a spacer within the leg, which any proper set of DNA should have done for me...

MartinC

Über Member
Doesn't Jason's method do this? In fact isn't it the only way to do it? I mean, short of inserting a spacer within the leg, which any proper set of DNA should have done for me...

Well, it's effectively inserted it in the lower leg so if this is where all the discrepancy is then this would be fine, if the discrepancy is in the upper leg then it's not so simple and a different crank length may be more appropriate. If the spacer is large then the foot will need to counter any tendency for downward pressure to rotate the pedal round it's axle and this may cause strain. Often the discrepancy is in both upper and lower leg too so for these reasons a combination of approaches may be better, which is what I was trying to say in my first post

jasonmccullum

Über Member
i have been using these spacers on my shoes for 1 month

i have the descrepancy in my upper leg as i had a damaged hip

it has really help me because the bike can now be set up properly and the seat can be set to help both legs ratehr than be set up of the shorter one

has helped me share the both better between both legs and i found my average speed over a 3 hour ride has increases by 3 mph!!

and im not working any hard either

OP
OP
E

Ealingoldie

IIRC in the days before clipless pedals TA would make custom pedals with built up cages to compensate for unequal leg.

The ideal solution is to use cranks of different lengths because it will match the circle of motion to your leg length. This is possible with pick and mix cranksets (TA come to mind again, as do Middleburn and Highpath) but expensive. I would think (and others may have better advice) that you only need to compensate for part of the 2cm difference as your body will compensate to some degree itself. Many people have legs of unequal lengths anyway - an orthopeadic surgeon once told me that 5mm is quite common.

Putting a spacer (you'd have to make it yourself) between your shoe and cleat might be part of the solution too as may be putting an insole in one shoe.

The best solution may be a combination of all the approaches.

If you use flat pedals then building one up or choosing 2 pedals with different cage depths may be an option.

OP
OP
E

Ealingoldie

i had an accident when i was younger and my leg is 2.54cm shorter so i knwo how u feel

i got some 35mm bolts and bought 22mm spacers and it works brilliantly

cost me £2.54 in total

pm me and i will send you pictures and details of where i bought the bits

Hi jason - yes please! Did you just have an insert between shoe & clip then?

OP
OP
E

Ealingoldie

That's what I did when I wore my Sidi shoes with Look pedals. I shimmed about half the discrepancy and it seemed to help. It was too much to try end make up the full difference, my foot started to rock on the pedal.

Hi Colin - yes I think a 20mm plus spacer would give some rocking as you say & as its from a broken hip all the difference is from the upper leg. I'll try some shimming for maybe 10mm & see about shorter cranks (wish it was the left leg not the right!)

Top Bottom