Uniglide/Hyperglide 7

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
My freewheel is dying. It's a 7 and I think it is probably a Hyperglide. I'm a bit picky about my cogs (13-17) so really want to continue to use these. So where might I find a freewheel body?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
7 speed is likely to be Uniglide - does it have a lock ring, or does the smallest sprocket lock on.

Freewheel body...... you can use a hyperglide body with uniglide sprockets (but not the other way round without taking a file out to the sprockets). Your problem maybe the cones and the seals though with 'updating' - may not fit.

Options are ebay - plenty of old but new stock on there. I get my DA 7400 uniglide sprockets from the US.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yeah - the smallest sprocket screws on to hold the others in place. That'll be Uniglide I think. I've had a quick look in e-bay. Mostly foreign sellers with postage costs to match and 14-28 sprockets (which I don't want or need). I'm thinking - end of that bike (rear spacing isn't wide enough for modern wheels and the frame is in any case getting on for 30 years old). C'est la vie :biggrin:

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yep - cold set maybe.

But first I think I'll scour the garage for not too old screw on freewheels. Then I'll have to take the 700c rim off the uniglide hub and build it onto a screw on hub (hopefully with the correct number of spoke holes). Most of my screw on hubs have either a 27x1/4 rim (which is too big for the frame) or a sprint rim (I've given up with tubs) attached. So long as I can find a suitable freewheel I might be OK for a few more miles ;)

Just need some warm weather to do the engineering in my unheated garage.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Well I took the spindle out today and had a look. Bit mucky and stiff so I poured WD40 and oil into it and it freed up a bit. Reassembled and off for a ride - it seems to work OK now although there were one or two worrying clicks. Nevertheless I think it'll be OK for a bit. :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Jolly good. You can take the freehub off using a 10 mm allen key, give it a good soak, and maybe add some light oil. Then shove back together and grease the hub bearings.

I've got at least one 7 speed freehubs that might be serviceable ? It was skipping a bit, but might need a lube. Can check at weekend if of any use ?

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Wobbly John said:
I think I've still got a new ultegra uniglide freehub if it's any use.

Ooooh Thanks WJ - Yes please :tongue:. I'll PM you with my details.

Top Bottom