Upgrade Advice Sram or Shimano?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My mtb has Sram SX 12 speed which I am finding seems to be made of cheese. Repetative jamming in the shifter I suspect due to the rear mech being sluggish changing. Have googled this it seems to be a problem with SX which I appreciate is made to a price point.
Trying to decide if I just upgrade to NX or GX or go to Shimano XT or XTR. Have Shimano XT on my old Stump Jumper so fine with the action of either. Shimano just seems a little better value, but I know Sram have been in the 12 speed market longer so their better groupsets should be a bit more refined
Anyone tried both? Any realword views?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Budget, Deore 12 Speed - should be able just to replace the shifter and mech - you've probably got a shimano splined freehub anyway.

GX will set you back a bit (XT quality) My X9 is the same as GX, but a bit older.

Gunk

Guru
Both our mountain bikes are a mixture of XT and XTR, however mine has previously been upgraded from 9 speed to 10 speed with Sram XO rear mech and XO shifters, I would say that the XO quality is a step up from Shimano and very reasonable second hand.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Is there not a Campagnolo option? :whistle:
A man of exceptional taste :okay:

Mark pallister

My mtb has Sram SX 12 speed which I am finding seems to be made of cheese. Repetative jamming in the shifter I suspect due to the rear mech being sluggish changing. Have googled this it seems to be a problem with SX which I appreciate is made to a price point.
Trying to decide if I just upgrade to NX or GX or go to Shimano XT or XTR. Have Shimano XT on my old Stump Jumper so fine with the action of either. Shimano just seems a little better value, but I know Sram have been in the 12 speed market longer so their better groupsets should be a bit more refined
Anyone tried both? Any realword views?
Xt 12spd is superb ,wife’s got it on her canyon 11/52 gets her up the hills

Top Bottom