Upgrade Chainset..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
A used bike I'm looking at to buy has a Shimano Alivio 42-32-26 triple with Octalink BB..

Is there a new 10 speed Chainset I could fit as it is or would I need a new Hollow Tec BB as well?

lpretro1

You can get them but tbh If you are going to get a new crankset then you may as well get the Hollowtech cups

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
You can get them but tbh If you are going to get a new crankset then you may as well get the Hollowtech cups

The more I'm looking the more I'm changing my mind.. I'm looking at a single chainring go 11sp and renew the whole lot.. no wonder I can't sleep at night..lol ^_^

lpretro1

It may well be included in the price but you do need to check at time of ordering - if the price is looking cheap then it's probably not included - places like CRC, Merlin etc often sell them separately (that's why their prices look good often!)

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I'm looking at the Ribble site and they are selling XT 38/26 with BB for £86 and SLX 38/26 with BB for £65 but I'm not sure if the BB's match or its just a cheppo BB?
Is there much difference for for £20 ish.. do you know?

Citius

Unless you particularly want an XT logo on your chainset, buy the SLX.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Didn't buy the second hand 42x32x26 in the end and settled for two new mtb's... (well it is Christmas ) and they gave the bikes away for stupid money.

Top Bottom