Upgrade My saracen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tranmere1

I have a saracen helix bike, its a few years old now, but I like it. I was toying with the idea of a new bike (road bike but with flat bars). But thought that maybe I could save money and just upgrade the one I have. I have read that wheels and tyres are probably the best upgrade you can do. But have not got a clue how to start to pick a decent set. Can anyone recommend some decent upgrade wheels, and any other good upgrades I could do. I could probably spend a couple of hundred pounds in total. Cheers

OP
OP
T

tranmere1

anyway I have decided on some Bontrager Race wheels £150 for the set,and some bontrager tyres. Next question, will they fit? I have a nine speed shimano Tiagra gears on the rear.

Also having never purchased wheels before, do they come with the quick release lever etc, it is just a one for one swap on the wheels?

TA

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The wheels should specify what cassette they will acccept i.e. 8 or 9 speed when you buy them and if they have the apropriate quick release skewers. If you need skewers your LBS will be able to supply you with them they don't cost a huge amount. Also you need to make sure you get tape for the rims or you will end up puncturing your inner tubes on your rims where the spoke holes are. Are the wheels on the bike that bad wouldn't it be better to not buy the wheels spend a little more on the tyres some really good tyres?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
£150 wheels will be fairly bottom of the Bontrager range and may not be that much better than the wheels your bike originaly came with. Although you may not have paid a huge amount for the bike the sum of the parts is likely to be greater than the whole and the wheels may be of a similar value to replace as the ones you are thinking of putting on. A lot of the serious road cyclists seem to think that tyres can make a noticeable difference. Good set of tyres will cost a lot less than a high spec set of wheels. I am sure some of the guys here will have some views on this.

Top Bottom