Upgrading a groupset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tompinder

Regular
If i wanted to upgrade my groupset from a shimano 8 speed sora to something like the Shimano Ultegra or a Microshift system (recommended by a friend), what tools would i need and how difficult would this be to do?

You wouldn't need much tools, allen keys, chain whip, lockring tool and a big spanner and its not hard but it'll cost you a fair bit, new cables, bar tape, sti's, derailleurs, cassette and chain.

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
I think it would be a bit more than £300.

Ultegra groupset is about £700 (new that is). You will also need two different bottom bracket tools, crank puller and to do a good job a pair of cable cutters.

2old2care

Über Member
I upgraded my 8 speed Sora to 9 speed with some used Tiagra 9 speed shifters, a used 9speed cassette and I used the original 8 speed rear mech that i was told correctly by my lbs would do the 9 speed. Plus I sold the used only once sora shifters and almost covered my costs after buying bar tape.^_^

Ok, i think after reading this and other articles online i'm going to just purchase a new groupset and go from there as the rest of the bike is perfect right now. If i wanted to change to a 10 speed groupset like this;
http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike Shop/Road Parts/Transmission/Groupsets - Road Bike/Shimano 105 5600 Compact Groupset_SHIMANO-105CT-GROUP.htm?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googlebase&utm_term=Groupsets - Road Bike

Is that possible given that i'm currently on an 8speed groupset?
I can't see why not the only difference afaia is the spacers on the hub, 1mm for 10spm 4 or 5mm for 8sp and that's no biggie (Ive swapped wheels a couple of times from an 8sp set up to a 10sp) and that looks a bargain too :thumbsup:

OP
OP
T

Tompinder

Regular
I can't see why not the only difference afaia is the spacers on the hub, 1mm for 10spm 4 or 5mm for 8sp and that's no biggie (Ive swapped wheels a couple of times from an 8sp set up to a 10sp) and that looks a bargain too :thumbsup:

Would i be able to buy a new hub spacer? Or would i have to buy a new wheel altogether?

I'm new to groupset upgrades so sorry for what may seem an obvious question

Top Bottom