Upgrading drivetrain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TomSH27

Ok, I think I have got my head around gear inches and gear patterns (all hail Frank Berto!), my bike is coming with a nine speed drivetrain (Sora) complete with a 50/34 chainwheel and 12-27 freewheel, this gives me a high of 116 and low of 35 inches. This is what I believe the techies refer to as an Alpine set up suitable for novices and unfit/older riders because it's easy. I'm only really used to old 10spd's with friction shifters so on a test ride this was like manna from heaven to me, if I wanted to upgrade in six months and put a slightly more sporty gear pattern on the bike could I just change the cassette or would the derailleur struggle?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I would say it is quite sporty as it is now! Wouldn't classify it as an "Alpine"set up. I think you need to suck it and see.

OP
OP
TomSH27

TomSH27

I guess I'm comparing it to what what Frank Berto refers to as Alpine, perhaps this is a flawed comparison as when he was writing the predominant set up was still 10 speeds with down tube shifters.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I guess I'm comparing it to what what Frank Berto refers to as Alpine, perhaps this is a flawed comparison as when he was writing the predominant set up was still 10 speeds with down tube shifters.
Are Frank Berto's thigh muscles anything like this?

image.jpg

KneesUp

Guru
I'm not short of hills that's for sure, I can't wait to try a few descents!
I've just finished my 'bitsa' bike (made from bits of this and bits of that) It has gears from 96" to 19", which I thought even I'd find a bit low. Admittedly my test ride took in hills I'd avoid on my other bike, and I got up them - but I used the 19" on one of them. I'm sticking with this gearing because I'd rather be able to ride up any hill at the expense of not being able to pedal fast enough on the way down. I'd definitely suck it and see before changing anything.

Top Bottom