Upping the commute by 33.33%

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I'm currently commuting 3 days a week. I'd do 5 days if I could but I pick up my 2 y.o on a Wed & Thurs afternoon from the nursery.

The nursery is about 2 miles from my house so in the past have generally took the car to/from work straight to the nursery.

I bought a hybrid for the crap weather days when commuting. Lightbulb moment-stick a child carrier on the back.:whistle:

Job done, first pick up of my daughter on the bike tomorrow. Looking forward to it although a little apprehensive about picking her up after sunset (will be on back road/off road/pavement).

I'll now try and do 4 days a week commuting on the bike (need a day to transport clothes to/from work).

Anyone else use a bike to take child to/from nursery/school?

That is all. :biggrin:

Mine kids are both way past 'toddler'. Son is taller than me and has been for a good while. Nursery was only a 5 min walk away anyway so cycle there was never needed.
The time you can do it is relatively short so hope you both enjoy it while it lasts. My link

littlelulu

Hi 400bhp,

I take my 3 year old daughter to and from nursery (situated on works grounds) 5 days a week and we love it.

After borrowing a friends bike to trial we both loved it so got a bike on the cycle scheme.

We did every day last month and covered 251 miles :biggrin: When you first get going it's a bit wobbly but you get used to it.

If you are getting a child seat Iwould highly recommend a reclining one (we have co-pilot Limo) as otherwise when they fall asleep their head falls forwards.

Hope this helps and happy cycling :biggrin:

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Thanks - already got a child seat (Hamax Siesta) which is a recliner.

I did a trial run on Sunday to work out my route back from the nursery and to get comfortable with the seat on the back. Ended up doing 9 miles. Daughter was asleep half way round which is a good sign. :thumbsup:

Brommie77

I pick my son up from nursery using my touring bike - its great and he loves it, the only thing I find hard is that he tends to try to turn round and look behind me to wave at the cars.:hello: Trouble with this is that the back of the bike then swings over with his body weight - as you cannot see it and cannot 'pre-brace' for it, it can be a little unbalancing at times. I spend half the ride shouting "TURN ROUND, AND STOP WAVING" but hey - at least he likes it, and it bodes well for him on a real bike the the future.:biggrin:

Paco de Bango

I've got a 3 year old and a 16 month old took them on a trial run on my new child seat (one at a time of course) and they both loved it.

The 3 year old was laughing out loud going downhill and pushing my back to help me get uphill.

I found the most difficult part was just getting them in and out of the seat. once your up and cycling it was much easier than expected.

I'm out the house too early and back too late to drop them at nursery..... I'll have to get the missis cycling (any tips?).

Top Bottom