URGENT HELP - Cannondale Handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrnothersan

Hello,

I'm really hoping somebody can help me here. I have a Cannondale Trail 6 2015 bike. However, the handlebars have detached from the stem as I undid the wrong bolt. I tried to put it back together, but failed. There are lots of various washers etc which are all there but I don't for the life of me know which order they go in. I am hoping somebody can tell me which order they go in. I have attached a picture below.

Thanks, I really hope someone can help
smile.gif

M2xmhz1.jpg

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Don't worry!....The parts you have show that you have what is called an ahead headset. Type that into a Google search and look at images....

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAUQjB0&url=http://www.8ballbikes.co.uk/headsets/&ei=mKNvVJyPKYedNuT5gfgM&psig=AFQjCNFKJSJYppfHAOkdjYkvMcqFtDnB_Q&ust=1416688914184536

The top cap with the screw going through it tensions the fork so it needs to have about a 2 mm gap between the cap and the fork steerer.This gap is achieved by adding spacing washers (g in your picture)
The bits above the star nut in the diagram are the bits you need to focus on as the bits below are still in your bike at the bottom of your steerer tube.

Last edited:
I need to see d side-on. Further, did you only disassemble the bits above the bike's head tube or top and bottom with some bits still on the bike?
I suspect d goes directly onto the bearings, i.e. first. If it is a concave affair, make sure the balls run in the groove, not on a ridge. Then goes a with e inside it, sharp side facing down. Then then b, then the stem itself, then f and g, then c and its bolt.

Assembly is just half the job, adjusting is the most important.

Assemble them all loosely with the bolt turned finger tight and the stem's two pinch bolts loose. Now sit side-saddle on the bike like the queen on her horse. Pull the front brake with your one hand and put an 5mm allen key in the bolt. Leave it there.

Now put your thumb and forefinger of whatever free hand you have (depending on which side your front brake is) over b and the frame. Rock forward and backwards through your bum and feel the movement between b and the frame with your thumb and forefinger. Turn the bolt in with the allen key (tighten) and periodically rock the bike again whilst holding the brake, all the time feeling for the ever decreasing amount of movement between b and the frame. As soon as the movement between those two (b and the frame) is gone, the adjustment is done and you don't have to tighten the bolt c anymore.
Now you tighten the stem, which at this stage can still flop around. Carefully and incrementally and alternately tighten the two bolts until they are equally tight at 6NM. You'll have to guess 6NM but it is just-just tight enough so that the stem will not turn on the steerer with forceful movement if you turn the handlebars whilst holding the front wheel between your Knees, when facing the bike.

The narrative is far more daunting than the illustrative, but give it a go.

Top Bottom