Us gals and our shoes!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pompey Princess

Veteran
Nike Granfondo Walkable Road Womens Shoes - are these any good???

IF, I continue to be as keen as mustard to cycle to work as I am at the moment, is it worth investing in shoes like these? I wear some old trainers but these will end up soaked and smelly before too long.

Oh, and another question (and this sounds really pathetic but...) these are just bog standard shoes, no clips and stuff on the bottom for the pro pedals that I just don't have!!!??? :blush:

Just found the 07 model at a bargain price too:
http://www.twenga.co.uk/offer/43657/590408191339088129.html

Oo and what about these
http://www.twenga.co.uk/offer/48981/7733412248701855454.html

Any advice would be most welcome :rolleyes:

Cheers, Nicky

OP
OP
Pompey Princess

Pompey Princess

Veteran
Just had another look at those shoes and I think they have the funny clippy things in the toes that I don't need...shame - can anyone confirm this for me??

Bigtallfatbloke

I dont know the answer to your question, but i can vouch for the quality of Nike walkable spd roadshoes. I have a pair with spd cleats in them and they have never let me down in the 20 months or so I have been riding in them & I ride every day.

mondobongo

Über Member
You can get some shoes that either have a base plate covering were the cleats are bolted or require you to cut out a section to attach cleats either type would allow you to have cycle specific shoes without cleats.

MessenJah

Rider
You can use any SPD shoe without the cleats if you don't mind having holes in the bottom, and you can just plug the holes with silicone sealant if you do mind.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
You really need to try the shoes on... I have wide feet and was told to steer clear of Shimano for that reason.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
It says "SPD compatible" at the bottom of the specs.
That means it will have 2 slots in the bottom of the sole which you can use to bolt on a cleat. The cleats come with the pedals.

The shoes have a walkable cover screwed into the holes, as seen here. If you use flat pedals, you just leave the cover in place.
One thing to beware of is that the cover is hard plastic, and won't give a good grip if you stand on a nobble without the rest of the sole in contact - eg on cobbles.

OP
OP
Pompey Princess

Pompey Princess

Veteran
Thanks for all the advice - cheers Andrew, that was the first pic I've seen with the underside of the Nike Granfondo. I was a bit wary of buying shoes I'd not tried on too.

I think I will give these shoes a miss - don't fancy skidding off me pedals or sliding about when I stop at a junction.

Back to the old trainers for a while...

Thanks again :biggrin:

Top Bottom