Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Will eat it if it's only a day or two out of date

• Will eat it if it hasn't gone mouldy

• A little mould never hurt anyone so just scrape it off and eat anyway

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
The best way to find out if food is off is to look at it, has it gone green? and does it smell bad? If the answer to both is no then it should be ok to eat.

papercorn2000

Fab Foodie said:
The problem is though...

Firstly particularly with chilled foods the manufacturer can never legislate fr what the consumer does with the product once it leaves the supermarket, i.e storage conditions, thus some latitude needs to be built into a product to deal with that.
Secondly, some serious food poisoning such as Listeriosis will not be spotted by look or smell. Listeriosis, Camphylobacter E.coli 0157are at worst fatal or can lead to very serious illness, particularly the very young, old or pregnant.
Thirdly, If somebody does get sick... who's gonna be liable? You can bet it's not the consumer.
Finally, we have a nation that are not as clued-up as they should be about food... thus products need to be as fool-proof as possible.

Very true! My first degree was in Microbiology but I try not to think about it when I am shopping - especially abroad!

I'm amused by something like smoked and cured bacon or gammon joints being in the 'sell by' when they're about to hit their dates, as smoking and curing are preserving methods.
You can sometimes find these in the cabinet with a sell-by date 3 months or so in the future, so I can't believe they'll be OK the day before but bad the day after

On the other hand I'd be far more worried about something like poultry or seafood where the sell-by date is a much shorter period.

As for tinned food, I remember reading in one of the war comics I used to read as a 10 year old about how during the First World War, sometimes how if they ran out of duckboards to make paths and roads through the mud in Flanders, they'd use whatever they had to hand and there were sometimes roads and paths paved with bully beef tins.
And even 30 or 40 years later French & Belgian farmers would uncover these whilst ploughing the fields and they'd eat them.

On the other hand, the Franklin expedition sent in 1845 to discover the North West Passage across the top of Canada through the High Arctic had their ships trapped in the ice and were all lost, even though they were, for the time, very well equipped and had lots of newfangled tinned food so should not have starved.
They recently found some of the bodies buried and preserved in the permafrost, tested them and found huge quantities of lead in them, slowly being lead-poisoned as that was the method used at the time to seal their tinned meat.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
andy_wrx said:
And even 30 or 40 years later French & Belgian farmers would uncover these whilst ploughing the fields and they'd eat them.
QUOTE]

This says more about French and Belgium farmers than Food Science!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
andy_wrx said:
They recently found some of the bodies buried and preserved in the permafrost, tested them and found huge quantities of lead in them, slowly being lead-poisoned as that was the method used at the time to seal their tinned meat.
But were they still edible?

buggi

Bird Saviour
if it smells ok then fine. i am a bit more careful with meat tho, don't mind a couple of days but anything more and it goes in the bin, especially if its processed. i dunno why that makes a different, probably coz i think there is a load of crap in processed stuff to begin with.

Top Bottom