Using a cape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yostumpy

Veteran
Today I managed to succssfully work out how to wear an old lightweight cape on t'bent. Went out in pouring rain, with cape and cheapo leggings, and was only slightly moist after 34km in rain and wind, and it was quite mild at 13 degrees. I pierced a hole in each of the re-inforcing plugs that the thumb loops attach to, then passed a longish bungee, under the front boom, but in front of the forks, then one hook in each hole, from the outside. Then stand up, gather the excess cape from twixt knees, and tuck it under as you sit down. No flapping or lifting up, doesn't cover the hands, but doesn't obscure the mirror. Cape will now reside on Grunhilda for the winter/spring.

simongt

Guru
Had an oilskin cape back in the '60s, but that was when the only alternative was a boil-in-the-bag pvc jacket, not a great choice. But the cape did the job of keeping my upper half completely dry whilst I stayed cool underneath although it did make hand signalling a bit tricky.
Must admit I do sometimes wonder if a cape still might be the way to stay cool as nowadays, I cook even in anything which claims 'breathable' - ! :laugh:

OP
OP
Y

yostumpy

Veteran
Had an oilskin cape back in the '60s, but that was when the only alternative was a boil-in-the-bag pvc jacket, not a great choice. But the cape did the job of keeping my upper half completely dry whilst I stayed cool underneath although it did make hand signalling a bit tricky.
Must admit I do sometimes wonder if a cape still might be the way to stay cool as nowadays, I cook even in anything which claims 'breathable' - ! :laugh:
The thing is, breathable jackets don't work that well on a 'bent, as the back of the jacket is being squashed against the seat, so can't breath, and the front is being bombarded with water. At least wearing a cape on a 'bent there is a certain amount of air wafted up underneath., Just take it easy and try not to sweat too much.

I haven't worn a cape since I were a mere lad. They do keep you dry but in strong headwinds they were hard work. Maybe not so much of a problem on your sort of bike.

simongt

Guru
True. Inevitably a puddle would collect on the cape and you'd have to remember to carefully discard it wwhen getting off the bike, or end up with wet feet - ! :laugh:

Top Bottom