Using Look cleats change to spds?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kylemalco

What are the advantages of spds I was thinking of changing simply because my shoes are worn and always found the big cleat awkward are spds much easier to walk in

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Depends on the shoes you pair them with I'd guess. If the cleat is recessed (spd on mtb shoes) then yes easier to walk in.

carlgorse

Ive heard that the SPD Cleats are easier to walk in but saying that my size 51 shoes and big cleats level it out :laugh:

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I had look cleats on my comutte road bike for ages but decided this winter to swap to spd with mtb shoes so the cleats recessed, there easier to walk in but more importantly when you put your foot down the tread on the shoe gives you alot more grip, which in icey conditions and wet is what I was after. The other bonus I found was the clipping in and out was easy, especially if you missed the the clip in point when you pulled away, you could still pedal without being clipped in properly, great at islands or lights. I had a few moments with my look cleats faffing around to get clipped in at rush hour, not good. I wouldn't go back now for comutting at least. But saying that I've done over 40 miles none stop and felt no discomfort, as some say they cause hot spots on your feet from the pressure on the foot from small cleats on spd's. But I haven't found this.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I used to ride Looks but decided to switch over to SPDs a few years back precisely because it is easier to walk in SPD shoes. I've been doing more social rides involving walking about at cafes, or stopping to admire scenery and Looks are a pain then. I've noticed increasing numbers of cyclists riding SPDs.

I do think Look and other similar systems offer slightly better foot support and therefore comfort, but I have done very tough, hilly 140 mile rides in SPDs and not suffered significant foot problems, and I am prone to cramp in my feet.

If I was riding competively or putting in maximum effort for long periods of time, I'd wear my SIDI shoes and use my Look pedals. Most of the time though, I'm happy with cheap SPD pedals and shoes.

Top Bottom