Using Muc-Off correctly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy 71

My chain is in dire need of a clean at the moment.

For the last year, I have been using a bottle of solvent-based cleaner which has come to the end of its life.

Sitting on the side, I have a bottle of Muc-Off gathering dust, which I don't want to waste - I also don't really want to return to solvents if I can at all avoid it.

Does anyone use this? Any tips on how to use it properly? I seem to recall the guy in my LBS tell me to use it sparingly.

Is it actually any good?

Alves

Muc off is a good chain cleaner and degreaser.
I dilute it with about 3 X the volume of water and use this. If you can take the chain off (you have a chain speedlink or similar) and then put it and the Muc off in a wide neck bottle (I use an old water bottle) and just shake it about for a few minutes and you have a clean chain. Draining the Muc off carefully to leave any sediment behind means it can be stored in another old bottle and re-used.
Then wash the chain in the same old bottle with lots of water and then dry it (I use WD40 and then a paint stripper hot blower) and re-lube once the chain is dry.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Muc off is fine for cleaning chains. You just need to have some latex gloves on and an old toothbrush or something to give it a bit of a rub.

Dave5N

Über Member
Rhythm Thief said:
I found Muc - off absolutely useless. The correct way to use it is throw it in the bin and never ever buy another bottle of it. It never even dented the muck on my chain and I went straight back to using paraffin or clean diesel.

DId you remember to take it out the bottle? B)

Domestique

Über Member
I have always used white spirit.
Take chain off and place in a plastic bottle with white spirit in. Leave to soak for a few hours after a good shake.
Leave the chain to drip dry before putting back on the bike with fresh lube.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Try a product called 'Finishline Citrus degreaser', I have just been using it for the first time and put loads on and wash off with water, it works very well.

very flammable and don't let the kid's swallow it!

simoncc

Muc-off is a rip off.

Paraffin cleans chains very well. Washing up liquid in hot water will clean your bike.

Muc-off is for mugs.

LLB

Use paraffin on your chain to clean it, it is the best thing, but make sure you grease/oil it well afterwards. Muck off works well on road film. It is basically non foaming washing powder in a water solution.

Top Bottom