Utube cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
They don’t need to be driving a motor home to be a serious danger as the OPs clip illustrates.
There are over 5m driving licence holders in the U.K. over the age of 70. Only a fraction may be incapacitated to drive. I don’t know how you would compel them to submit to a test of some sort or a medical. Might be politically unwise to implement such a thing and could be seen a form of age discrimination.

Well they already need to renew their licence every three years.

It's just that at the moment, all you have to do is self-declare that your eyesight still meets the requirements (with glasses or contact lenses if necessary), and that you haven't developed any of the conditions you are always supposed to tell DVLA about regardless of age.

Adding the requirement for a medical exam wouldn't be that big a step.

tom73

Guru
They don’t need to be driving a motor home to be a serious danger as the OPs clip illustrates.
There are over 5m driving licence holders in the U.K. over the age of 70. Only a fraction may be incapacitated to drive. I don’t know how you would compel them to submit to a test of some sort or a medical. Might be politically unwise to implement such a thing and could be seen a form of age discrimination.

Totally if you’re unsafe to drive it matters not what you drive. Just pointing out that same have access to both and see no issue with continuing to drive a great big lump of a thing or understanding of the extra care needed in one. Currently it’s not too hard to keep driving one as with a car.

As for testing what’s why it needs to be wider and not purely on a given age as is mostly the case now.
I’m not saying every over 70 is unsafe I’ve known a few who have been as sharp as a pin and safest drivers I know. My uncle however was a shocking driver but then he was from the time he past his test. Age just met it was more of an adventure as to what may happen.

Let’s face it no government will be likely to change much fear of ageism for one but more likely is that politically none of them are willing to be seen as attacking drivers. Until societies love affair of the car changers road safety will continue to be a big elephant in the room.

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Can see the advantage of using elephants, if the cyclist had been on an elephant then the outcome of the accident may have been very different and no one would have had to worry about the driver not being charged,unless of course charged by the elephant, now that would be fun to watch?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Its also sometimes quite tricky getting past horses on narrow country lanes, I fear an elephant might make many of my routes impassable.

Well we’d need a max allowed width sign with an elephants arse in the red circle for such lanes.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Elephant_Crossing.jpg
Plus elephant crossings

Top Bottom