V Brake Pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

krisgoss

Good Evening Everyone!
I was after a bit of help in purchasing some brake pads- I have a real old, pretty naff mountain bike with semi slicks :becool:
I use the bike 5 days a week for commuting come rain or shine, and then once on the weekend for a spin - about 50 miles a week. And I recently discovered my brakes wouldn't stop me, which wasn't great.
Pads had completely worn down and might as well not be there to be honest.

Anyway, I have a standard v-brake set up, and was after some tidy brake pads pretty quick, so I can get back on the road.
Does anyone have any recommendations? Preferably under £20 for a full set.

Found these:
Pads

also these:
Kool Stop ones (but which colour out of the in-stock ones do I need? White, Green or purple?)

all other suggestions would be good too!

Many thanks!!
Kris

OP
OP
krisgoss

krisgoss

I have just found these too:
Dual compound Kool Stop

Davidc

Guru
Just fitted the Kool Stop Dual Compound ones to the front brakes of my tourer. They work superbly on that, fitted and set up easily.

OP
OP
krisgoss

krisgoss

Cheers for the recommendations people! Much appreciated, and helped with my decision!
I have placed an order for kool stop salmons, all round. Figured that with the winter setting in already, better to be safe!
They are really hard to track down fair play, but I managed to get a full set for £18 something delivered!

Link to the site:
Dotbike

I cant say I've heard of the place before, but seems to have good reviews!
Cheers again!
Kris

potsy

Rambler
Just got a pair of Koolstop Salmon myself for the upcoming winter.Front only as I rarely use the rear brake.
Will fit them in a few weeks once the sun stops shining
thumbsup.png

Davidc

Guru
You'll find those work very well. My only reason for moving to the dual compound is because the salmons wore down so fast on that bike.

Like potsy I use the back brakes very little so the blocks last forever, so I just wear away front ones.

OP
OP
krisgoss

krisgoss

Cheers for everyone's help in finding some pads!
I came home from work today to find my pads waiting for me! Really quick delivery fair play to dotbike!
Spent the last hour and a bit fitting the pads and then fine tuning everything. So took the bike down the street to see how they go, starting pedalling toward a wall, slammed on the brakes......
On my old brakes, I would have gone straight into the wall, but these stopped me almost before I pulled the levers!

I honestly can't believe how awesome they are! The rest of the brake system is the bike's original kit, and i'm riding an old Apollo! :blush: the pads alone have transformed the bike to be honest.

Anyone reading this for advice - buy some kool stop salmons!!

Top Bottom