V Brakes, Advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I want to replace the v brakes on my trekking/touring bike. Can anybody advise me if there are any of reasonable quality at the budget end of the market, Also what differences would I find using better quality brakes as opposed to the cheaper shimano's etc?

Milo

Guru
Better control of braking maybe but generally decent pads make more of a difference than anything at the low end of the spectrum.

Not criticising your advice e-rider, but what's the difference? - am always puzzled/inttrigued by Shimano's various levels though I know that for everyday use more cash can sometimes mean less life. Reason I ask is that the "onward march of technology" means I may have to change some cantilvers to V.

e-rider

crappy member
Not criticising your advice e-rider, but what's the difference? - am always puzzled/inttrigued by Shimano's various levels though I know that for everyday use more cash can sometimes mean less life. Reason I ask is that the "onward march of technology" means I may have to change some cantilvers to V.
XTs, have higher quality 'arms' which flex less, higher quality fixing bolts and springs, higher quality cartridge pads and the brakes are lighter in weight overall.

Widge

Baldy Go
You (probably) can't go wrong with pukka Shimano stuff....but.....I have just replaced tha front 'v' on my my MTB with a 'Clarks' v-caliper set and was impressed by how good they were for £7.99!! (CRC online)

About as 'budget' as you could go I reckon-but not TOO shabby?

HovR

Über Member
You (probably) can't go wrong with pukka Shimano stuff....but.....I have just replaced tha front 'v' on my my MTB with a 'Clarks' v-caliper set and was impressed by how good they were for £7.99!! (CRC online)

About as 'budget' as you could go I reckon-but not TOO shabby?

I have the same ones (but got them for about £10 from Halfords). I put them on a friends bike to replace a cheap disc caliper and they were a huge improvement. The only negative is that they squeal a bit in the wet, even when toe'd in, although I suspect this may be the cheap brake pads that they came with.

Top Bottom