V Brakes v Disc Brakes

Which are better, V-Brakes or Disc Brakes?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am a total mechanical numbty.

V brakes' maintenance defeats me.

With a single allen key I can adjust my mechanical disc brakes myself (click, click, done)

Add a pair of pliers I can even change the pads in minutes.

Plus, I can ride through mud up to the bottom of the frame and still stop.

Davidc

Guru
Best for braking I've ever used are hub brakes. Next come discs (cable operated) then V brakes.

Easiest for maintenance are V brakes, but I've never taken hub brakes apart - the bike wasn't mine, it stays in NL and belongs to a Dutch friend, and I've only serviced discs once so it may get easier with practice.

Worst pain in the bottom to set up are the cantis on my present tourer, which are also less effective than V brakes.

If I had a choice I'd probably put discs on both of my bikes, at least on the front wheels.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I've got Discs on the MTB and discs on the hybrid. In ALL conditions the disc brakes out perform V or cantis on the road. The avids on my Hybrid are very powerful, and all you need to do is to learn how to modulate them or learn to be subtle with your braking.

Did I mention maintenance free on the commuter? Hundreds of miles and once they'd bedded in and been properly centred they just get the occasional squirt of cleaner. Still on the original pads after two years.

Brakes on the MTB need a bit more maintenance, but that's to be expected.... most of the rides round here are on Millstone grit so the wear rate is high.

e-rider

crappy member
why are people still fooling about with cantis on touring bikes?

and what's this talk of V-brakes on road and TT bikes - surely they all have caliper brakes?

For me:

MTB=discs
Tourer=V-brakes
Commuter=V-brakes
Road racer=caliper

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
why are people still fooling about with cantis on touring bikes?

and what's this talk of V-brakes on road and TT bikes - surely they all have caliper brakes?

For me:

MTB=discs - agree
Tourer=V-brakes - depends where you're touring but can make a good case for discs
Commuter=V-brakes - disc all the way, why wear out rims and change pads more frequently?
Road racer=caliper - will never race so couldn't care less :biggrin:

Top Bottom