VCC Boot and Back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevevw

Guru
Finally finished the Claud Butler on Saturday ready for the Boot and Back VCC meeting on Sunday. I had arranged with my son for him and his girlfriend to come down with their two Raleigh's for the ride over. Luckily for them they looked at the weather forecast and rang late Saturday to cry off. My daughter and her husband where not so cleaver and turned up at my place early Sunday. What could I do? I just had to ride a newly restored bike in the pouring rain to see other old bike nuts standing round looking at old bikes in the rain.

Finished bike just before the sky's opened.
P3041050.jpg

P3041051.jpg

What a lovely bike to ride the Claud is, smooth, quite and very comfy. Only down side was the gearing is a bit high with 18 - 50 oh and it is now filthy.

P3041052.jpg

I have a few shots that I managed to get before the water got in the camera, which now refuses to work. It will have to spend a few days in the airing cupboard.

P3041053.jpg

P3041054.jpg

P3041055.jpg

P3041056.jpg

P3041057.jpg

P3041058.jpg

P3041059.jpg

P3041070.jpg

Not the most effective brake ever made! Note the pegs on the forks these are not for stunts as my daughter suggested but to put your feet on going down hill with the fixed chainset flaying round. Scary stuff.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Your CB is gorgeous: lovely colour scheme, especially the mudguards.

Some great shots of other interesting machines too.

The copper coulored bike looks really interesting, would I be right in thinking that it was a fast bike in it's day? Are the rims made of something unusual or just painted. Do you know what make it is?

raindog

er.....
They're wooden rims, surely?

Agree about the photos, some very interesting bikes there. Love the last one with the foot rests and the inch pitch chain - I'd love to have a blast on that. ^_^

And +1 for your Claud Butler - a very, very classy bike.

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
Your CB is gorgeous: lovely colour scheme, especially the mudguards.

Some great shots of other interesting machines too.

The copper coulored bike looks really interesting, would I be right in thinking that it was a fast bike in it's day? Are the rims made of something unusual or just painted. Do you know what make it is?

The copper coloured bike is made from copper tube and copper lugs. The rims are wood and the speedo goes up to 50mph. I would have loved to speak to the owner about it but our paths did not pass on the day.

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
Thanks for all the nice comments about the Claud Butler. My son came round last night and was horrified that I had been out on it in the rain. I told him just because it is an old bike does not mean that it has to spend its life sitting in the workshop it needs to be ridden. He then reminded me that I had in fact built it for him ^_^ OOOP's

Top Bottom