Very impressed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnpembo73

There is a hill near me called Mow cop killer mile. To the top is slightly more just over 1.2 miles. The stories about the hill are endless. A quick description of it. The first 1/3 mile is roughly 10% then levels out a little then rises again to 10-13% then again to 25% for 100 meters. It then takes a steady incline of 4-5% then the last 100 meters rises again to 10-13%. It is a tiring hill and a good sense of achievement once you've cracked it.
The first time I attempted this hill was 3 weeks ago, it is a steady 12 miles to the bottom of it from my starting point. Just as I was riding through the village before it you can see the top, guess what my legs went lead heavy and all energy just went away. I know its a mind thing but I just couldn't get anything on the hill once I got there. I failed and had to walk and ride the final parts taking it in turn.
I told her I will be back to defeat you. So listening to all you guys and set off on a training plan with help from the Armstrong- Carmichael 7 week training plan book. Brilliant book by the way. Last night I set about the hill in a more positive way with a friend who wanted to have a go. He stopped half way blowing up very similar to myself 3 weeks earlier. I carried on 90% out of the saddle all the way. My god I did it I was so impressed with myself.
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
johnpembo73

johnpembo73

I think I have posted in the wrong section, Please excuse me. Can you move this to the correct location. Sorry.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
There is a hill near me called Mow cop killer mile. To the top is slightly more just over 1.2 miles. The stories about the hill are endless. A quick description of it. The first 1/3 mile is roughly 10% then levels out a little then rises again to 10-13% then again to 25% for 100 meters. It then takes a steady incline of 4-5% then the last 100 meters rises again to 10-13%. It is a tiring hill and a good sense of achievement once you've cracked it.
The first time I attempted this hill was 3 weeks ago, it is a steady 12 miles to the bottom of it from my starting point. Just as I was riding through the village before it you can see the top, guess what my legs went lead heavy and all energy just went away. I know its a mind thing but I just couldn't get anything on the hill once I got there. I failed and had to walk and ride the final parts taking it in turn.
I told her I will be back to defeat you. So listening to all you guys and set off on a training plan with help from the Armstrong- Carmichael 7 week training plan book. Brilliant book by the way. Last night I set about the hill in a more positive way with a friend who wanted to have a go. He stopped half way blowing up very similar to myself 3 weeks earlier. I carried on 90% out of the saddle all the way. My god I did it I was so impressed with myself.
biggrin.gif

Nice one. Sounds like a fun hill and what an interesting name it has!!!!

Just taken a look on youtube and that steep section is seriously steep!!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Give the Cheshire Cat Sportive a go then. 100 miles, but you hit Mow Cop after 16.

The bit past the pub looks vertical as you approach. I did it on a 39 x 24, but I really had to pace myself before I hit that section as it was a full on killer with that gear. Almost everyone else was on compacts 34 x 25.

Many folk stop on it, loads fall off. There were people resting at the bottom, then resting just before you hit the killer section, and then more folk at the top of the steep bit.

Well done for riding the lot without stopping.

OP
OP
johnpembo73

johnpembo73

Thanks guys. My gearing was 34 x 25.

That is exactly what I am after doing the Sportive Cheshire cat 100mile in under 6 hours. There are medals for different times I think but I am not sure of the timing involved. Could some one let me know?

fossyant

You just get a medal for not stopping on the hill.

There may be gold, silver time bands now - Gold is usually over 17mph average on a hilly

fossyant

The difficulty with climbing it on the Cheshire Cat is the sheer numbers on the climb, including those who just grind to a halt and fall off.

Top Bottom