Vibram FiveFingers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
MacBludgeon said:
I don't run and yet am strangely drawn to these, I notice they don't mention cycling as an option. I wonder if that is mainly due to clipless and styles of pedals? Coz this has made me think, having read this article:-

http://www.rivbike.com/article/clothing/the_shoes_ruse

As I have no intention of ever racing this had caught my attention, especially where they mention Crocs and sandals for riding. My new pedals are the large, grippy, platform/BMX? style ones. Could I be heading for another cycling faux pax?

Wonder what FFFF will think of the guy on the hybrid, with butterfly bars, flat pedals and Vibrams Five Fingers on his feet?

It's almost worth it just to see the look on his face:evil:

Go for it and see what you think.... I cycle in all sorts of shoes, proper cycling shoes, furry boots, trainers, sandals, crocs (not any distance), and flip flops - I can cycle quite far in those - 40 miles one day.

yello

There's a great deal of thought provoking stuff in that article. On the face of it, it seems to make a good deal of intuitive sense.

ASC1951

Guru
There is also the Vivo Barefoot, which Clarks introduced 5 years ago. Same idea - a thin unsupported puncture resistent sole - but with a shoe shape rather than the individual toes of the Vibram. Very similar price.

Greenbank

Über Member
yello said:
There's a great deal of thought provoking stuff in that article. On the face of it, it seems to make a good deal of intuitive sense.

Hmm, not all of it though. Rivendell are a little bit up their own arse, a bit like Rapha. $200 for a saddlebag anyone? Anyway...

I get "hot foot" after about 80km if I use a pair of shoes with soles that are too soft, this includes Spesh Sport MTB SPD shoes.

Two pairs of my cycling shoes have really stiff soles. A pair of old Shimano SPD shoes with cloth uppers, and a pair of Spesh Pro MTB shoes with a carbon sole. Neither of these have given me problems on rides over 100km and up to 600km.

I can also say that I definitely needed to be able to pull up with the back foot on a recent ride. You need all the help you can get pulling a 67" gear up a 16% hill. I'd also never consider riding fixed without being clipped in (either clipless pedals or toe-clips). A foot slipping off at 170rpm could get ugly.

And "gription". WTF! What's wrong with the word "grip". Feh.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Zola Bud used to run barefoot long distance back in the 1980s at the Olympics.

Running shoes (correctly fitted) are supposed to correct any misalignment in your foot fall. Some people step out some people step in some have a perfectly flat fall. A good shoe is supposed to give you a flat foot fall from heel to toe. This is supposed to prevent injury to the ankle and achillies tendon.

I do like the look of these, but the price ;). I sail a dinghy (though not this year for financial reasons) they look ideal for it.
Having had a look at a barefoot running site I nipped into sportsworld and bought a pair of aqua shoes, pulled out the sponge insoles and hope this will give a similar barefoot feeling.
(What is the point of sponge insoles when they are intended as AQUA / beach shoes?) Thin soles but toes still scrunched up same as normal shoe.
I don't do any running, but don't actually like wearing anything on my feet and spend as much time as possible barefoot so I'll give them a try and if it goes well a pair of fivefingers will be on a shopping list

Top Bottom