Vibrating Brakes - Any Ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ramses

Hi all,

My wife has a Cube WLS Access Pro, which is fitted with Hayes Stroke Ryde brakes, which are the same as mine.

I have experienced no problems with mine, but my wife in the past few weeks is getting some serious vibration when she brakes.
This is coming from the back brake, and I have tried it out, and it really does vibrate through the frame and up the saddle, (some may find this desireable!).

If I clean the pads with a damp clean cloth and wipe the disc, the problem stops. But within days it comes back. I check all the housing bolts to make sure they were tight enough, and they are.

Is it possible for Hydraulic fluid to leak onto the pad? The reason I ask this is, I am certain that the brake lever is a little softer than it was, and I can't see why the pads are getting so contaminated. I have even gently rubbed them down with some sandpaper, but it has still come back.

Any idea's, experiences of the same etc.... greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi all,

My wife has a Cube WLS Access Pro, which is fitted with Hayes Stroke Ryde brakes, which are the same as mine.

I have experienced no problems with mine, but my wife in the past few weeks is getting some serious vibration when she brakes.
This is coming from the back brake, and I have tried it out, and it really does vibrate through the frame and up the saddle, (some may find this desireable!).

If I clean the pads with a damp clean cloth and wipe the disc, the problem stops. But within days it comes back. I check all the housing bolts to make sure they were tight enough, and they are.

Is it possible for Hydraulic fluid to leak onto the pad? The reason I ask this is, I am certain that the brake lever is a little softer than it was, and I can't see why the pads are getting so contaminated. I have even gently rubbed them down with some sandpaper, but it has still come back.

Any idea's, experiences of the same etc.... greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The only vibrating 'breaks' in the café are likely to come from threebikesmcginty when he's 'thowing some shapes' on the big tables in here. Try asking in 'Know How' or maybe MTB bit (don't know anything about disc brakes, moi :rolleyes:)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes it's entirely possible that the pads are contaminated with brake fluid, which could cause vibration. Usually you will hear a horrible juddering squeak just before the wheel stops turning. There are two solutions:

1 - Your wife rides the bike fast down a very big mountain with the rear brake applied so that the heat burns off the contamination. However this could mean the end of normal marital relations in your house!

2 - You remove the pads and put them in the dishwasher, nothing is hotter or more caustic than a dishwash wash and this will leave them sparkling clean. At the same time clean the discs with meths, IPA or at worst very hot water with detergent. If your wife finds the pads in the dishwasher normal marital relations might also be in danger but I'm sure she will be mollified when you explain.

Check the fluid level in the reservoir - if it's low, you have a leak. Another indication of a leak is road dust sticking to the caliper body where it is wet with brake fluid.

OP
OP
ramses

ramses

Yes it's entirely possible that the pads are contaminated with brake fluid, which could cause vibration. Usually you will hear a horrible juddering squeak just before the wheel stops turning. There are two solutions:

1 - Your wife rides the bike fast down a very big mountain with the rear brake applied so that the heat burns off the contamination. However this could mean the end of normal marital relations in your house!

2 - You remove the pads and put them in the dishwasher, nothing is hotter or more caustic than a dishwash wash and this will leave them sparkling clean. At the same time clean the discs with meths, IPA or at worst very hot water with detergent. If your wife finds the pads in the dishwasher normal marital relations might also be in danger but I'm sure she will be mollified when you explain.

Check the fluid level in the reservoir - if it's low, you have a leak. Another indication of a leak is road dust sticking to the caliper body where it is wet with brake fluid.

An informative and funny read. Thanks for the advise, both bike and marital! I'll look into it.

Top Bottom