Video camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
My old Contour HD1080 has almost had it, so I'm looking at a replacement.

The Contour +2 and Roam 2 both look good, and have the advantage that I already have mounts for them fitted to my various bikes.

However, neither look as good value for money as some others on the market such as the Sony AS15.

So what do I get?

BSRU

A Human Being
The AS15 would be a "perfect" commuting camera if they sorted out the artecting, especially when using 720p, and if could me mounted at different angles like the Contour. There is a chance the first problem maybe fixed but the second one will never happen.
If you want a cheap option I could sell you one of my old Contour 1080p's, no battery, memory card or mounts.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
The AS15 would be a "perfect" commuting camera if they sorted out the artecting, especially when using 720p, and if could me mounted at different angles like the Contour. There is a chance the first problem maybe fixed but the second one will never happen.
If you want a cheap option I could sell you one of my old Contour 1080p's, no battery, memory card or mounts.

Thanks, but I think I'd like to get a new one that supports larger memory cards, and (hopefully) has better image quality.

Any other options then, or should I just get one of the new Contours (and if so, which one?)

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
So I think that on the basis I already have 3 Contour mounts, I'll probably go for one of the new Contour ones.
I think I'll go for the Roam 2, for the additional battery life. Any thoughts?

BSRU

A Human Being
So I think that on the basis I already have 3 Contour mounts, I'll probably go for one of the new Contour ones.
I think I'll go for the Roam 2, for the additional battery life. Any thoughts?
The only problem for me with the Roam 2 is the integral battery, but it all depends how long you need to use it in-between opportunities to recharge it. Plus if the battery fails outside of the warranty period it turns into a brick without external power supplied. But this is a minor issue since it is alot cheaper than the C+2.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
The only problem for me with the Roam 2 is the integral battery, but it all depends how long you need to use it in-between opportunities to recharge it. Plus if the battery fails outside of the warranty period it turns into a brick without external power supplied. But this is a minor issue since it is alot cheaper than the C+2.

Hmm, that's true. Maybe I'd be better getting the +2 and a spare battery.

BSRU

A Human Being
True. Will ponder it for a while longer.
I have a C+, the C+ and C+2 are way overpriced for what they are, better to buy a GoPro Black(although not great as a helmet camera as it is less discreet;) ).

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I have a C+, the C+ and C+2 are way overpriced for what they are, better to buy a GoPro Black(although not great as a helmet camera as it is less discreet;) ).

Yeah, the only reason I'm leaning towards the Contour is that I already have £60 worth of mounts for it on my various bikes.

Top Bottom