Video good enough for a complaint?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thnurg

Rebel without a clue

I'm not normally a helmet cam commuter (which is why I have a cheap camera) but Mackies of Alloa have been annoying me lately.
I have complained to them about the first number 13 before but had no reply, which is why I was determined to get their bad driving on video. The fact that I knew these poor passes were coming should be enough to illustrate that this is not a one off.
The number 13 is hired by Prudential to take their employees to work. This is why there are two of them, they take it in turns at bus stops.
MA3 gave me an even worse pass than the one shown on Monday, and on Wednesday I was a passenger on that bus and was not happy with a couple of passes he gave to two other cyclists on that same stretch.

Is this video good enough to make a complaint to Mackies? Should I also complain to Prudential?

I think you should. One thing that I still don't understand when on the road and when there is no traffic coning the other way, is why drivers of large vehicles don't give a lot of room when overtaking.:banghead:

dhd.evans

Veteran
Having watched the video and knowing the feeling of being passed by large vehicles on similarly provincial roads, none of them look like dangerously close passes.

It probably feels closer than the bus actually is. I await the cavalcade of views.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yeah, I'd complain with those. Those bus drivers should be in the other lane really. See picture on rule 163 of the highway code. Gaz had a govt. document somewhere showing that big vehicles should be giving cyclists 5m clearance at 30mph plus.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Having watch the video and knowing the feeling of being passed by large vehicles on similarly provincial roads, none of them look like dangerously close passes.

It probably feels closer than the bus actually is. I await the cavalcade of views.

Sorry Thnurg, But I have to agree. Not much to complain about in my opinion. None are good passes (As BM says) but are all better than most I experience in the day to day stuff.

May be worth sending off as more of an question and less of a complaint.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You may have a problem with the footage, it's hard to see exaclty how much space they have provided you as they pass. As a regular watcher of cycling videos I can guess that they are probably too close but someone working for the company might watch these and think they are fine.

How to get better videos? Try putting the camera somewhere else, perhaps on your frame where you can see part of your bicycle, the road and the overtaking vehicle, it will make it much easier to see how much space they are providing and make it easier to complain.

Gaz had a govt. document somewhere showing that big vehicles should be giving cyclists 5m clearance at 30mph plus.
This document, page 17

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Second overtake is done with solid white line on *your* side of the road too... so, unless you were going sub 10mph, is an illegal overtake as well as a dangerous one. Don't look amazingly close, but with the size of the vehicle I imagine the turbulance is not a nicve after effect!! Pretty poor driving.

Edge705

Bus drivers need to be aware what backdraft they create its one thing dealing with the close pass with such a large object its another holding the bike steady as A) they go past and B) after they've gone past - That IMO is shockingly close for a bus in one clip he is overtaking where the line in the middle the road is solid thats an illegal manouvere for starters Im staggered they are not giving you more room more to protect them as PSV drivers

col

Legendary Member
Surprised more room wasnt given seeing as no oncoming traffic?

OP
OP
thnurg

thnurg

Rebel without a clue
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I will be sending it to Mackies. I'm surprised that some of you are more concerned with the second pass than the other two. I think the driver gets a better view of the road ahead from his high cab than is shown on the video. He's the one that generally drives better than the other two.

londondailyphoto

Über Member
You may getter a better response if you take a constructive approach to the complaint - "You may want to help you r drivers understand how to improve" or some such as safer drivers are better for everyone on the roads - especially the bus companies.

OP
OP
thnurg

thnurg

Rebel without a clue
You may getter a better response if you take a constructive approach to the complaint - "You may want to help you r drivers understand how to improve" or some such as safer drivers are better for everyone on the roads - especially the bus companies.

I have done. Rather than demand public flogging I have suggested that they make their drivers more aware of the rules on overtaking, and included a link to http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070314

At the very least I'd be happy for them to know that they may well be caught on camera in future.

G-Zero

Über Member
Second overtake is done with solid white line on *your* side of the road too... so, unless you were going sub 10mph, is an illegal overtake as well as a dangerous one. Don't look amazingly close, but with the size of the vehicle I imagine the turbulance is not a nicve after effect!! Pretty poor driving.

+1 What Sh4rkyBloke said.

The overtake on the solid white line is legal, but only if you are travelling at 10mph or less, and the only way for the bus driver to confirm that is to match your speed and check, before comitting to the overtake.

baldycyclist

Über Member
not too close - had closer (even been bottom slapped) - but the noise, wind makes it feel much closer.
You were going quite slow - this possibly makes it feel closer...dont know why though? Dopler effect?

I agree that we need more education of drivers - a little like the instruction videos of the 60s.....Mr Reginald Molehusband style!!!

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
No excuse at all for that pass. If I'm overtaking a cyclist in my lorry and the opposite carriageway is clear, I'll actually give so much room that my nearside wheel is on brushing the centre line. This give cyclists at least 6 feet of clearance, and just as importantly makes it obvious to other vehicles behind me that there's a 'hazard' to be passed. If there are oncoming cars I'll sit behind the cyclist 'till it's safe to pass. It's actually quite interesting to see what kind of speed they're getting up to!

Top Bottom