Video overload!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Chaps and Chapesses... since joining the Camera Crew here on CC I have been trying to sort out the best way to organise my video 'library' effectively, but it soon mounts up and I appear to have filled all my available space on my laptop. :rolleyes::laugh:

What sort of workflow do you guys have? (i.e. weekly upload to your machine, simply remember times/dates of incidents and go back to make a video from them, discard 'non eventful' footage etc.)

I want to keep most of the footage to compile (at some point) a vid which shows motorists (and cyclists) ignoring the law left, right and centre (using ASLs, RLJing, parking in mandatory cycle lanes etc. for cars... and pavement cycling, RLJing etc. for bikes) to music, but am quickly finding that it's a real pain to be able to track down all the relevant clips to compile into one movie, and too much space to keep it all.... :sad:

Any ideas?

I've done the same, run out of space.
I've bought a seagate 1tb external hard drive to free up space and date and title video, delete the minor stuff. Most of the time I can't be ar$ed editing the video or no one else would be able to tell what went on from the clip.(I need a front and back cam!!) :ohmy:

I expect there is a better way of cataloguing everything but it'll take me ages to fill the hard drive even with the size of the video files!

Though they do recommend backing up your hard drive to another external hard drive if you'd be overly gutted it all got lost or corrupted!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I use a video editor to import footage off the card and compile. Video has date and time stamp in the corner usually, if not then the file would have a coded file name:

cyclan_winrd_060909.mpeg for example

so that would be "cycle lane", "winchester road" and the 6th of sept 2009. I tend to save at a slightly higher quality than the original file too. Re-encoding loses quality.

For back up you'll need a high quality external hard disk or 3. I also make other back ups to sony DVDr. Files on my PC HD are kept in folders and each folder's total filesize is under 4gb as it makes things easier.

Top Bottom