Viking Giro D'Italia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lip03

Über Member
looking at a viking giro d'italia on ebay for £199! looks nice but not sure of viking's reputation in the cycling world! anyone own a viking bike? its a road bike but i am not looking to compete in any way just for cumuting to the station (aprox 2.5 mile). others on the list to look at are a muddy fox blade and the raleigh sprint also in a similar price range

thoughts please!? :huh:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Viking are generally fine, basic but fine. I know several people now that have them and have done may miles without issue. You're not going to get the best bling for that sort of cash, but it shouldn't be a dog either.

bobones

Veteran
looking at a viking giro d'italia on ebay for £199! looks nice but not sure of viking's reputation in the cycling world! anyone own a viking bike? its a road bike but i am not looking to compete in any way just for cumuting to the station (aprox 2.5 mile). others on the list to look at are a muddy fox blade and the raleigh sprint also in a similar price range

thoughts please!? :huh:

Out of those the Raleigh Sprint looks the best bet as it has 16 speed Shimano STI gears (gears work from brake levers) whereas the others have 14 speed w/ downtube shifters. None of them are high quality bikes so the frames will be heavy and the components cheap (the fact that they've all got horrible side pull brakes and the frames use nuts instead of sunken allen keys for brake attachements is a giveaway). You could have fun on one of these bikes but you're never going to love it! A better bet would be the Decathlon Triban 3 at £299 which has Shimano STI gears and a better quality frame, components and a carbon fork (much lighter than steel and arguably gives a better ride).

OP
OP
lip03

lip03

Über Member
Thanks for that guys i know i am not going to get a bike of the highest quality for my price range! but £200 is my limmit (set by my pregnant girlfriend so darent go a single penny over!! ;) ) i did think the raleigh would be my best bet but have read reviews on evans website saying its a bit rubbish! the viking looks great and the down tube gears dont really bother me as the old 70s road bike i have just got rid of had them n actually quite like em!

Thanks for that guys i know i am not going to get a bike of the highest quality for my price range! but £200 is my limmit (set by my pregnant girlfriend so darent go a single penny over!! ;) ) i did think the raleigh would be my best bet but have read reviews on evans website saying its a bit rubbish! the viking looks great and the down tube gears dont really bother me as the old 70s road bike i have just got rid of had them n actually quite like em!

If £200 was my budget I wouldn't entertain buying a new bike. I'd find a decent used bike. You'd be very surprised at some of the bikes my mate picks up for under your budget.

Bikes are probably the ulitmate example of you get what you pay for.

All this is of course, IMHO :biggrin:

Good luck what ever you decide and ride safe :thumbsup:

qwiksilver

who needs a helmet
Deffinatly worth the money i paid slightly less than that for mine and only thing i can find wrong with it is the seat, gonna change that soon

Top Bottom