Viking Severn Valley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

michbike

Regular
Hi, this is my first post so I’m trying to learn the ropes. Anyway, I picked up this Viking at a swap meet, and I’m trying to ascertain its identification. Here are a few pictures. Discussion to follow after procedures are learned. I believe this to be a 1966‘ish model based on cable braze-ons that are suitable for bar end shifters. SN 200847. Nervex lugs, curved bridge, Campagnolo drop outs and round-oval-round chainstays.

Attachments

• IMG_1200.jpeg
    IMG_1200.jpeg
    353.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0726.jpeg
    IMG_0726.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0722.jpeg
    IMG_0722.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0729.jpeg
    IMG_0729.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0723.jpeg
    IMG_0723.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 28

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very nice. Hello and :welcome: to CC.

Hi and welcome .
I own a 1977 Viking Severn Valley but it is the later company from Northern Ireland . I also own a 1963 Viking Conquest .
There is also a Face Book Viking group with a frame data base which may also help.
It is from around that period as it has that type of head badge . Earlier models had an oval metal badge with the Viking ship on it.
They are nice bikes and the company has a very good history .

OP
OP
michbike

michbike

Regular
It looks like the rear dropout is for the Cyclo Benelux rear derailleur from what I can see .

Thank you for your suspicion on the rear dropout being for the Cyclo Benelux Rear derailleur. I’m wondering what feature made the connection for you. I’ve attached a closeup of the bicycle’s hanger, and there is a small hole that seems like it could interface with the Benelux model‘s (pin?) pictured in Disraeligears.co.uk. Pictures attached. The hanger mount is standard 10mm x 1mm thread.

I am uncertain what drive train to install. I’m thinking Stronglight 49 crank with a small inner ring because I’m old and slow. Your thoughts?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0751.jpeg
    IMG_0751.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0748.jpeg
    IMG_0748.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1215.jpeg
    IMG_1215.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 7
Thank you for your suspicion on the rear dropout being for the Cyclo Benelux Rear derailleur. I’m wondering what feature made the connection for you. I’ve attached a closeup of the bicycle’s hanger, and there is a small hole that seems like it could interface with the Benelux model‘s (pin?) pictured in Disraeligears.co.uk. Pictures attached. The hanger mount is standard 10mm x 1mm thread.

I am uncertain what drive train to install. I’m thinking Stronglight 49 crank with a small inner ring because I’m old and slow. Your thoughts?

Thanks

I think I'm wrong. From your other pictures it looked like the mounting was stepped, sticking out from the frame . Yours looks more like a normal dropout for a derailleur.

Thanks

I would say for that period Campagnolo Gran Sport would have been the one to go for. It's what people were putting on their wish list . Simplex Prestige were around at the time , light being made of plastic and smooth and silent but fragile . I had one on my Sun Mist, a friend broke it .

Stevemwilliams

Lovely Viking Severn Valley. Frame number 200847 is one of the very last Viking Cycles Ltd from late 1966, early 1967 just before they went bust.

OP
OP
michbike

michbike

Regular
Here is an update on the rebuild of Severn Valley, SN 200847. I am working to bring back to its 1966 or 1967 configuration. I’m making assumptions of what was available for the original build. I found the frame and fork, with some extra parts at a bike swap last May. Priced at $75. However, finding the correct vintage parts is a bit of a price challenge.

1. Wheelset is Campagnolo wide flange with Fiamme 27-inch clincher wheels
2. GB spearpoint stem
3. Viking handlebar
4 Campy bar end shifters
4. Mafac Dural Forge centerpull brakes
5. Stronglight 49 crankset that will eventually have 42/30 rings (not race configured, but I’m old)
6. Campy Record headset (steel)
7. Campy 1052 Front Derailuer
8. Campy 1044 Seatpost 27.0
9. Atom freewheel (made in Italy) 14t, 28t 5-speed

I’m temporarily using
1. Dia-compe brake levers
2. Shimano Tourney rear derailuer
3. new and used, not vintage, cables and housing
4. scrap box pedals
5. comfortable saddle

A question - with a small front chainring set, will a Gran Sport handle the 28t freewheel?

I just had the bike out for a short ride - feels nice. I don’t think it’s been ridden for about 45 years.
Comments and suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_1549.jpeg
    IMG_1549.jpeg
    301.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1550.jpeg
    IMG_1550.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1551.jpeg
    IMG_1551.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1552.jpeg
    IMG_1552.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1553.jpeg
    IMG_1553.jpeg
    252.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1554.jpeg
    IMG_1554.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1555.jpeg
    IMG_1555.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 17

ASrovers

Hi asking please would you happen to know the year and the model please of this Viking Bike.
also have old Vintage carradice saddle bags

Attachments

• vikng badge.JPG
    vikng badge.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 5
  • viking bike 5.JPG
    viking bike 5.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 4
  • viking bike 4.JPG
    viking bike 4.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 5
  • old viking bike 3.JPG