Vintage Bates - largely finished, but still some question marks!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
MajorMantra said:
That's beautiful Graham! And those forks are amazing.

Which white outers did you used? I still haven't found any cheap ones...

Matthew

I got a NOS shimano SLR brake cable set off ebay and also a few metres of old brake outer from a shop - glad I got the ebay set as the shops stuff was awful; you could probably fit two inner cables through it and it wasn't particularly flexible. I found it ridiculously hard to find white cable, although that was partially due to my not wanting to use Goodridge (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23407) as it's more akin to rod than cable!

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
[quote name='swee'pea99']Nice job! Bloody hell! Who'd have thunk that was in there, just waiting to get out?

I have to say, mind, I really don't like those forks. Sorry. That kink just looks...wrong somehow.

Other than that, lovely! Slender, clean..such elegant geometry.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean, they're a bit marmite, but for me the forks and cantiflex tubing (a proprietry 531 tube profile made specially for Bates by reynolds) are what make it unique against all the other classic lightweights. The forks are very much just an aesthetic thing like the Hetchins curly stays, however the tubing has a big impact on stiffness of the frame hence the ride is so much like a more modern
frame.

Hi Graham G,also to you all out there.What a sight for sore eyes,stunning clean lines.A Work of Art fit for the focal wall in the home.Nice non fussy lugwork and equisite double boxed lining and lined lugs.A sin to take it out only to muck it up,if not the roads then the sweaty mitts of admirers wanting to paw it for the tactile pleasure.On a personal note,my only suggestion would be a pair of Marcel Berthet Lyotard Platform Pedals,(I still ride them)rapid entry,neat with Christophe Clips and Straps.My old cycle pal had a Bates like yours & I had a Hetchins Curly,what a duo on the road.Happy & Safe Riding to you All.

Sharky

Guru
Just come across this thread. I'm riding a Bates BAR model in my avatar picture. It came with horizontal fwd rear ends, but without an integrated gear hanger. Used a bolt on hanger.

Had it from '64 to '67 when I sold it for a more "modern" bike with alloy components and sprint rims. But something I've always regretted as the Bates was a really special ride.

Top Bottom