Virtual partner - Garmin Edge 305

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jann71

Veteran
Does anyone use the virtual partner on a Garmin edge 305 ?

I have it set to "on" on the 305.
I thought when you went out to do the same route again it automatically recognised and showed up on the screen?
Or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think you have to tell it you are on that route - so load it up.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As Fossy said ^

Make sure you either recorded the route you want to 'virtual partner' with or load one up to the machine.

yello

I have used it, to see what it did more than anything else, but I don't bother now as I'm not a competitive rider.

I thought when you went out to do the same route again it automatically recognised and showed up on the screen?

I don't believe that's how it work. In fact, I'm pretty darn certain it doesn't!

As I recall...

...when you create your track/route, you give it a goal time (or is it average speed? one or the other). When you ride the route, that goal time is the virtual partner. It's an even pace for the entire route (distance / goal time), no slowing for hills etc, and does not stop. If you stop for a pee, or cake stop or whatever, the partner carries on and gains on you.

...but I'm probably wrong!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You can create a course from a previous ride (i.e. history file) and give it a name, then go to your courses and select that course, then select "do course" then you will see the route, and the virtual partner, you will get a message when you hit the route. click start, you are now racing your previous ride.

Alternatively you can create courses online or on Garmin TC, set a average speed target and then upload this course to the Garmin device. You then start the course as above. You are now racing your virtual partner.

Top Bottom