Viscount Apollo Tourer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I picked this bike up a few days ago whilst on a trip to the seaside. SWMBO wasn't too happy when I suggested that a trip to Weymouth could be used to pick up a cycle. I had forgotten all about the bike being for sale. Biggsy reminded me about it when I mentioned we were off to the seaside.
I got permission from SWMBO and contacted the seller and arranged to pick the bike up. We arrived at the sellers house. I paid the asking price of £20 and loaded the bike into the boot of my car and set off for the beach.
After a lovely day at the seaside we arrived home and I set about reassembling my new bike. I checked over the components . Shimano hubs laced onto Mavic alloy rims with Vittorio Rubino tyres. Suntour VX rear mech and Suntour front changer, Shimano brakes and levers, Aero Coronado cranks. The bike came with a rear rack and mudguards which I haven't fitted. The frame was a light blueish green metallic which has faded over the years, it has plenty of patina, rust speckles on the horizontal surfaces, I've been cleaning it up. I think the bike dates from around 1980.
Friday morning I rushed around trying to get my bike ready for its first ride. I had agreed to go for a ride with a friend so it would be a good opportunity to try it out. I borrowed a pair of wheels off another of my bikes as the hub bearings were stiff and notchy.
We set off at a leisurely pace, it was nice and sunny and we weren't in any hurry. I soon got used to the saddle which was a bit painful to begin with. The bike handled well, it felt smooth and agile. We did over 12 miles with a break halfway round for a cup of tea. I was surprised when I got back that I didn't feel tired and felt that I could go out again.
So far I have done 25 miles on the bike and I'm finding that it is really nice to ride, It's smooth and seems to go go well. People who have ridden Viscounts seem to say that they are nice to ride. I need to do some more rides, I also need to get the original wheels sorted.

DSC_0412.JPG

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That's it blame me 😔
If I had been heading that way then I certainly would have been looking at it closer .
I like the way Viscounts ride it's been a while since I have had one in the garage .
Enjoy it and keep us posted

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I've bought another Viscount to go with my tourer , it is an Aerospace Sport with sealed bearings on the bottom bracket and front hub . I should imagine that the rear hub is the same but I haven't checked yet, all I have done so far is to wash it off . It will be interesting to compare the two. So far I really like riding the tourer and have covered over 160 miles on it .

Top Bottom