Wallpaper over plaster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
We have to wallpapper my partner's dining room, so we took off the old wallpaper yesterday. It almost fell off because the bare plaster underneath seemingly hadn't been sealed.

My question: We have lots of spare paint. Can we seal the plaster with an emulsion/water mix, or does it have to be proper sealer? My Dad has used watered down PVA glue before but I can't remember if it was successful. Just don't want to buy additional sealers when I have spare paint I could use for free.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Try 2 test patches ?
emulsion mixed with 10% water and a 2nd one with diluted pva ?

screenman

Legendary Member
We have to wallpapper my partner's dining room, so we took off the old wallpaper yesterday. It almost fell off because the bare plaster underneath seemingly hadn't been sealed.

My question: We have lots of spare paint. Can we seal the plaster with an emulsion/water mix, or does it have to be proper sealer? My Dad has used watered down PVA glue before but I can't remember if it was successful. Just don't want to buy additional sealers when I have spare paint I could use for free.

Did you use a steamer? I agree with PVA for papering over.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've always used paste, as recommended in older DIY texts. I wouldn't recommend PVA if it's an older house with solid walls. Solid walls need to breathe.

Skibird

50-50 Emulsion/Water but not silk, just matt

irw

Quadricyclist
Point to note- if it's a thin/light coloured paper, you might be wise to do a watered down emulsion coat on the wall first, or your wallpaper may end up not quite looking the shade you think it should. Since the first wall that I didn't(!), and thence regretted, I always do either a white base, or something of a similar colour/shade to the paper that's going on.

Top Bottom