WANTED - Towbar mounted bike carrier for 4 bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
I've not seen many, but I know Thule do one, doubt it would be cheap though.

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
The Roofbox Company do a good range of 4 bike carriers towball mounted carriers, expect to pay around £250-£350.
I've been using an earlier version of this one for several years. It's remarkably robust and stable - no problems at all fully loaded with 4 bikes on journeys to Provence and The Pyrenees. I've found them a good company to deal with, over the years I've purchased roof bars , roof mounted cycle carriers plus 2 & 4 bike towball carriers. The racks that support the wheels are IMHO far the best.

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/r...rack_no_brp334/Qx@w,6M42VAwp3@Rb{~cC4ure7ya0z

Dag Hammar

I am strongly in favour of tow ball mounted bike racks, I owned and used one for more than twenty years until I no longer had a car with a towbar.
One thing I would question regarding the OP wishing to carry four bikes, do towbar manufacturers specify a maximum ‘nose’ weight ? I should imagine that with the weight of the rack itself plus four bikes the whole package is going to weigh rather a lot and might over stress the structure.

OP
OP
bikingdad90
It’ll be used to carry two adult bikes and two kids bike so will be below the 60kg rack limit and below the 75kg nose weight capacity. I’m going for a good quality flange witter tow bar on my scenic. The max of each bike is 15kg.

Buck

Guru
I have a Thule tower bike rack which is actually a 3 bike one but the official attachment makes it a 4 bike carrier.
Similar to this https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/tow-b...ikes-7-pins/_/R-p-X8176979?mc=8176979&c=BLACK

It fits 4 adult mountain bikes on no issues. I actually got this of eBay as an Amazon return for a decent discount.

As @si_c says, they are not cheap but are top quality and I would recommend it.

Just check the Pin connector on your towbar electrics - 7 or 13 to make sure you get the right one or whether you need an adaptor

OP
OP
bikingdad90
Daft question. If I get a standard flange towbar fitted I don’t need to worry about compatibility ability, it’s only if I get an ALKO towbar for towing a caravan with a stabiliser it could be a problem with a bike carrier?

Buck

Guru
Standard tow bar will be fine. Not sure about an Alko one.

The Thule one is a lever lock that is tension adjustable and lockable.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Don't know where you are but this just popped up on Facebook near me.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/586913372495995/

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have a Thule tower bike rack which is actually a 3 bike one but the official attachment makes it a 4 bike carrier.
Similar to this https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/tow-b...ikes-7-pins/_/R-p-X8176979?mc=8176979&c=BLACK

It fits 4 adult mountain bikes on no issues. I actually got this of eBay as an Amazon return for a decent discount.

As @si_c says, they are not cheap but are top quality and I would recommend it.

Just check the Pin connector on your towbar electrics - 7 or 13 to make sure you get the right one or whether you need an adaptor
I have the same one (although don't have the 4th bike add-on). I picked it up on Facebook Marketplace, which is where I also picked up all my roof carriers too - all have been in good condition for a fraction of new price.

Daft question. If I get a standard flange towbar fitted I don’t need to worry about compatibility ability, it’s only if I get an ALKO towbar for towing a caravan with a stabiliser it could be a problem with a bike carrier?
I'm not sure why an AL-KO towball would be a problem? They have a longer neck to accommodate the depth of the AL-KO hitch stabiliser but the ball will be the same dimension and the extra length shouldn't impact the Thule (or other) carrier mounting. FWIW I use the Thule one on a Volvo deployable swan-neck, no problem. I also have a wall-mounted 'tow hitch' ball that I use to store the rack when not in use.

Top Bottom