Wanting to Buy First Bike and need advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AntoineUK

Hey guys, I'm going to buy my first bike soon and I need a bit of advice. I have cycled for a long time but mostly casualy and on low end moutain bikes not paying to much attention on all the gear. I will be cycling through the french alps (on roads) up to the coast this summer with some friends so I need to buy a bike. I am also looking to use this bike for further touring in the future (so I need to consider off road/dirt tracks), doing long distance trips if this summer works out well. My budget is of about 425 +- 50£ for the bike only. I've been looking at touring bikes but they all seem quite expensive. Any advice? Thx

PS: I don't have any bikes I can upgrade

bauldbairn

I'm definately not an expert in these types of bike's, but have a look at the Edinburgh Bike Cooperative range of bikes for value / reliability.

They have a Revolution Cross 09 Bike (Road/Cross Country) at £449.99, this bike gets very good reviews and the Revolution Country Explorer 09 (Road / Cross Country) at £649.99 with disc brakes, full mudguards and a rear rack already fitted.

I know your budget was £425 ish but I'd expect both bikes to be reduced by 15% in the next EBC sale(probably January). There are EBC's in Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Leeds and Manchester or buy via the net.

Hopefully other more experienced members could also advise you.

LazyLoki

Touring bikes generally are expensive because they have good quality steel frames and it's a fairly small market. Another option you could look at is a cyclocross but make sure you get one with rack/mudguard eyelets as not all models have these.

bauldbairn

As mentioned in my previous post the Edinburgh Bike Coop sale is on now - the Revolution Cross 09 is down from £449.99 to £349.99 - the Revolution Country Explorer 09 is down from £649 to £499 - and there's a hundred pounds off a Cannondale Badboy 09 £499 to £399.

Hope there is something there that takes your fancy. ;)

Top Bottom