Warm morning then cold midday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was always understood from geography classes that daytime temperature rises during the day and peaks around or just after midday.
In practice I find that many days, if not most of them, start off warm, cool off so that I need a jacket by midday, then warm up towards late afternoon.
Am I mad?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I was always understood from geography classes that daytime temperature rises during the day and peaks around or just after midday.
In practice I find that many days, if not most of them, start off warm, cool off so that I need a jacket by midday, then warm up towards late afternoon.
Am I mad?

In general you would expect it to get warmer the longer the sun is out, but at times fronts will move in making it cooler, it is unlikely to then get warmer again as it is not too often that a cool front will move in and out within one day. What does the thermometer say as it quite possible that it is just you feeling warmer/cooler depending on the activity you are doing and your energy/food levels.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
If sun was the only factor, its height in the sky would determine temperature.
But temperature is a hugely complicated thing that is influenced by weather patterns. At it's most simple, weather causes variations in the solar gain with cloud cover. It also blows in air of different temperatures, and alters perception of heat with varying humidity and windchill, etc.

Think: cold fronts vs warm fronts, south winds vs arctic winds, onshore winds, offshore winds, summer vs winter, albedo of buildings and surfaces, etc.

Suffice to say, many things affect temperature.

Top Bottom