Waterloo to Kentish Town (East)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cope

I'm looking for recommended route. I want to end up on Torriano Avenue, where it meets Leighton Road. It looks like I should head for York Way, but I'm not sure of the best way to get to there from Wateroloo Station.

Suggestions?

Tynan

Veteran
highroads or back roads and cycle routes?

Tynan

Veteran
not me then, I like direct and busy, I find that safer than back roads

perhaps the bikely route planner?

CotterPin

I have used a route over Waterloo Bridge and through Covent Garden (via the little cycle cut-trhough on the north side of Aldwych - watch out for pedestrians), up Wellington Street and Bow Street, past the Royal Opera House.

Then at little roundabout straight over Long Acre into Endell Street and follow the one way round into Betterton Street.

Then left up Drury Lane and over High Holborn and Oxford Street along Museum Street. On Museum Street go through the road closure and then right into Great Russell Street (cyclists are allowed to do this here).

At the end of the British Museum turn left into Montague Street and keep going straight the way up through Russell Square and into Thornhaugh Street (round the back if the University).

On Gordon Square, turn right. There is a cycle track here and along Tavistock Place. Over Woburn Place on Tavistock Place and then turn left into Cartwright Gardens. By now you are following a signed cycle route to Camden.

Go over Euston Road and continue north along cycle route. Eventually you will come out on Royal College Street. Keep going all the way up this road (some of it has a cycle lane). Eventually you will come out on Kentish Town Road.

Someone else may be able to nuance the route especially at the end to get you to Torriano Avenue, but this might be a good starter to check out.

CotterPin

PS - I would also agree with Tyson that the main roads are generally safer. The cycle routes around Tavistock Place and Royal College Street are tempting but be aware that you still need to ride with care on them.

orbiter

TfL's direct route (http://tinyurl.com/cbwtc9) isn't bad, but not exactly quiet. I'd be happy with it but for something quieter I would turn into Wellington St from Aldwych, then Drury Lane, Museum St to the BMus. Along one side of Russell Sq to Tavistock Sq/Place (via SOAS), Judd St to Argyle St and Camley St. Much like cotterpin's route really.

OP
OP
C

Cope

Thanks for the advice. Will try a few variations. Here's what I did (by sort of making it up / making mistakes).

Over Waterloo Bridge, right-most lane, through the tunnel, emerging on Kingsway. Carried on, onto Southampton Row. At the bottom-right of Russell Square, I went straight on, in the bus lane. I remembered someone had mentioned Bernard Street, so I went right here, and ended up going round Brunswick Square, and onto Judd Street. I kinda ****ed up when I realised I couldn't turn right at Euston Rd, so took the last right before Euston Rd, and meandered my way through a little alley onto the pavement on Euston Rd, and scooted until the junction with Argyle Street, where I was able to get onto Euston Rd, and get in the right lane for York Way.

On reflection I agree that fast and direct is safer - it's just been a while since I cycled in London. It all came back though.

One thing I've heard someone mention, is that there is a risk of cement lorry interference on York Way, so maybe there's a better idea.

So - improvements to this route welcome!

joolsybools

Order the cycle maps of TFL, they're much better than an A-Z and have the quieter road marked; not that I'm sure I agree with all of them though!
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers/cycling/cycleroutes/default.asp

Top Bottom