Waterloo to Victoria

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mk1216

Hi, I have recently started a new job with an office near Victoria station (Carlisle place).

Would like to get some suggestions on cycling routes between Waterloo to victoria if it's not considered too dangerous. I am a newbie with bikes ;)

National rail can get me to waterloo and further I was looking for options to avoid taking tube.

Thanks

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Here's what I would do. Others will choose another route.

Come out of Waterloo and head towards the London Eye by any convenient route. You will come to Belvedere Road as you head in that direction. Turn left down Belvedere Road and you will come to Westminster Bridge. Turn right onto the bridge (you'll probably need to take a pedestrian crossing to get onto the other side of the road), ride over the bridge towards Big Ben, and negotiate three sides of Parliament Square in order to take the exit that leads to Birdcage Walk. It's Great George Street. The traverse of Parliament Square will seem a bit daunting on the first few occasions but you will be fine if you stick in your lane, clearly indicate where you are heading, and don't make sudden moves. (It might be worth walking road the Square the first time to get some knowledge of the various lanes). Once on Birdcage Walk, just keep going as straight as you can and you will end up on the A3214 at the corner of St James Park. A few hundred yards later you will come to Victoria Station on your left hand side.

It's a doddle.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Here's what I would do. Others will choose another route.

Come out of Waterloo and head towards the London Eye by any convenient route. You will come to Belvedere Road as you head in that direction. Turn left down Belvedere Road and you will come to Westminster Bridge. Turn right onto the bridge (you'll probably need to take a pedestrian crossing to get onto the other side of the road), ride over the bridge towards Big Ben, and negotiate three sides of Parliament Square in order to take the exit that leads to Birdcage Walk. It's Great George Street. The traverse of Parliament Square will seem a bit daunting on the first few occasions but you will be fine if you stick in your lane, clearly indicate where you are heading, and don't make sudden moves. (It might be worth walking road the Square the first time to get some knowledge of the various lanes). Once on Birdcage Walk, just keep going as straight as you can and you will end up on the A3214 at the corner of St James Park. A few hundred yards later you will come to Victoria Station on your left hand side.

It's a doddle.
^That. The reverse route, on the other hand, is a bit of a mare thanks to the one-way system around Victoria.

Commuting routes are variable

I think that the general advice works even for London

Go up on a Sunday

Try the route

Use the local knowledge you gain to alter your original plans

Look at the "escapes", those places where you have shelter to repair a puncture, put on your waterproofs etc

Then be prepared to experiment as you commute to explore better options, or cope with changes

It took me some 3 years to perfect my commute and the present route bears no relationship to the original or the one I used 5 years ago

....and don't think riding in London is dangerous. There's so many cyclists, drivers are so aware of you and traffic is so slow they rarely push passed.

tatr

The Belvedere Road > Westminster Bridge > Parliament Square > Victoria Street route will get a lot nicer on the 30th when the roadworks are finished, as Parliment Square (the most dangerous bit of the route for a cyclist who isn't confident and aggressive) will be segregated - as you get to the end of Westminster Bridge you will be directed into new cycle lanes that will take you to Victoria Street without having to tangle with any cars.

If you are happy trading safe/enjoyable miles for distance, I would also consider:

Leaving via the back entrance > Lower Marsh > Cycle Route 3 via Carlisle Lane, Hercules Road, Sail Street, Newport Street, Goding Street > Join the segregated cycle superhighway over Vauxhall bridge > Vauxhall Bridge Road

If you are taking the train into Waterloo then you can probably get off at Vauxhall station which is half way along the second route.

Top Bottom