waterproof panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

afl2

Über Member
I have just had a quick look on a auction web site for waterproof panniers and clearly i need some advice.
Are any of them actually waterproof??

Cost? some appear with a bit of a price difference for the same product. Is it more you spend the drier it will be??

Thanks

corshamjim

I suspect that it's more like the more you spend the more hard-wearing the panniers are likely to be.

I have a pair of these:

http://www.bikester.co.uk/bicycle-equipment/bike-bags/waterproof-bags/221087.html

Which are obviously a fraction of the cost of Ortlieb or such. I can't say I've ever used them in a downpour, but have no reason to doubt they would be waterproof. The construction isn't quite as robust as I would expect from some of the more expensive brands, but for the amount I'm likely to use them I doubt I'll wear them out any time soon.

(btw. if you are tempted to purchase from bikester.co.uk, bear in mind there's a minimum order of £49 and delivery can be a bit longer than you would normally expect as the supplier is actually based in Germany).

Don't forget that it's not actually all that difficult to put your stuff in a polythene bag inside a non-waterproof pannier. :rolleyes:

lejogger

Guru
I've got the Ortlieb Back Roller Plus. Absolutely excellent. Totally waterproof, loads of room and I find the quick release and closing mechanism a little better on the plus than the classics.

Having said that, when I asked Mark Beaumont his opinion he agreed with slowmotion and recommended the Classics... and we all know how much use he got out of them :biggrin:

EDIT - shop around and get them under £100. It's an investment though. You'll have them for years and they'll be more than worth it.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The roll top style of pannier, favoured by Ortleib and friends do look like they'll work better in heavy rain on a busy road than the draw-string and flap style.

I've got BikeBins on the back and Ortleib's on the front, both claim to be 100% waterproof, but I do tend to sort my kit into drybags as a belt and braces approach, plus it makes organising the contents easier with different coloured and sized drybags; socks and undies in one, outerwear in another, tent, flysheet, etc...

edit.

Whatever you consider, have a look on Amazon to see if there's any reviews. I almost bought a cheaper alternative to Ortleib's but did do a quick review check. Sorting them worst first showed more than a few people had found the plastic fittings broke in no time rendering the pannier useless, so i figured the extra £20 on 'proper' ones was worth it.

headcoat

Über Member
I've got a set similar to Ortlieb with the roll top from Lidl, earlier this year, I think they were on £12.99 (bargain), anyway I have not had chance to try them in a downpour, but like others tend to put items in bags. I use thick garden sacks from a pound shop which seem quite robust and no holes in them.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
I've got a set similar to Ortlieb with the roll top from Lidl, earlier this year, I think they were on £12.99 (bargain), anyway I have not had chance to try them in a downpour, but like others tend to put items in bags. I use thick garden sacks from a pound shop which seem quite robust and no holes in them.

Plastic rubble sacks are also good!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've dropped a closed Ortlieb backroller in the Kennet and Avon Canal. Everything stayed dry.

Top Bottom